Crashed Badly, Probably Done Riding Motorcycles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope you heal up quick. I got knocked off of my harley years ago at 70mph. Someone lost a mattress and it took me out. I was laid up for two months. Shattered my right wrist and tore me up pretty bad.

Holy doodle!

Glad to hear your ok.

Personally I'm looking fwd to riding season myself.
This thread will be my reminder to stay as safe as possible.

Are you the same guy that (several weeks ago) ...

was talking about selling the Ducati because of DOCTOR ORDERS ...

to "reduce vibration" in your life due to a detached retina issue???????

If so...... then - YES - - you need to seriously reevaluate life choices!!

I really dont like this time of year on bikes in the cold areas. With all the gravel, sand and garbage on the roads it makes it very dangerous. Everyone is excited to get out and ride but I usually play it safe and wait for a few good rains to clear the "fun" roads as the main roads usually clear up quickly.

Glad your ok, I couldn't agree with you more on the importance of proper gear it does save lives.

FUN:
-can you imagine the terror in my eyes reading your story? i didn't ride or own a two wheeled thingy from when i was age 7....=i can't even ride a bicycle
-you can search Trav's thread about the rare "Golf ball" headgear.... if you get that you can look like a "PING PONG HEAD"

Serious:
Glad to have you with us in the land of the living.
A friend could not use his right hand for about 2 years after some meeting with crazy driver and some road-rush.

GET WELL SOON!

Glad you keep positive.

Almost lost my son in Joshua Tree National Park, Cal. in 1988 on a bike. He had a brain injury as well as other problems. He has never quite got over the brain injury. With that said, I truly hope for your complete recovery. Take care.
Gerald

Originally Posted By: Bzab32
I really dont like this time of year on bikes in the cold areas. With all the gravel, sand and garbage on the roads it makes it very dangerous.

I agree. With cold tire/road temps combined with frost, gravel, potholes etc. I outright refuse to ride in anything but the best road conditions (June-Aug).

Regardless, accidents can affect you any time of year.

Good luck in your recovery. My dad always told me not to get a bike and I havent. This is coming from a guy who rode bikes and flew ultralight airplanes. I guess for once I did listen to ol' dad.

Sorry to hear about injuries. Get better
smile.gif

Yes, rashing your bod is nasty. Getting sideways and high siding is nasty. Breaking bones is nasty. Brain bleed is real nasty. Sorry, stuff happens ...

You will think about that long and hard many times between now and then. But you may get back up and ride again. You will never ride the same. You will be more cautious. You will look around every curve. You will get the heebies every time you see gravel and oil and slime on asphalt.

But you may ride again. I have had most of your injuries, some from motorcycles, some from climbing and falling ... Hurt is hurt. It sux
frown.gif

But, once you get used to your new self, you will think about living life and bikes may be part of that... They are for me. So I still ride.

Have not put the shiny side down since the late 1970's and a oil puddle from a truck blown rear end on a my commute home on a foggy night (slide/high side ...). It hurt, not as bad as yours. But eventually I got back on. It takes one real good "how did I survive" accident to make you think different.

It's how many 1,000,000 mile Harley riders earned their pins. They had a bad one. From then on, they never had another one. And, have had a long distinguished riding career
smile.gif

It may come to you. Right now the pain and hurt are too much. Give it time and see how it goes... Get better
smile.gif

Wow, I am sorry to hear of your get-off, and send my best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery. I had noticed your absence from this Forum.

I can understand your feelings, having ridden since the age of 6, and having had streetbikes since the age of 16. Ride a Motorcycle long enough, and you will experience some pain. Fortunately, my mishaps thus far haven't been severely life altering or ending. I know several people who are no longer with us, because of a mistake made while riding, and several more who are here, but minus limbs, because of other inattentive drivers.

My Sister crashed her bike on May 21 of last year. She severely broke her leg, and her bike was totaled. She was riding by herself, fortunately on a scenic byway that gets a fair amount of traffic. Because the first people to arrive on the scene were two ER Trauma Nurses from Duke University, who were on vacation at the time. Their skill undoubtedly saved her from even more serious consequences. She is just now (almost 10 months later) starting to walk gingerly in Physical Therapy. She shouldn't ride, as I keep telling her, because she has never paid enough attention to her surroundings. She acknowledges her lack of attentiveness, but she is still pressuring me to take her to look for a new Motorcycle. I am not anxious to do so.

If there's a silver lining, it's that you didn't seem overly pleased with your newer model bike's power characteristics, or the vibration it had. So at least that's no longer a concern. (Just trying to cheer you up, and maybe illicit a chuckle).
grin.gif

Again, all the best in your recovery and whatever you decide as far as riding.

Demerol. When I was in the hospital with a severe deep laceration to my left arm, that's what they gave me because I would not respond to Vicodin. I had zero side effects and the pain was completely gone. I could go to sleep real easy and wake up sharp as a tack with no grogginess. It may have been a synthetic version of Demerol; I'm not sure on that. Seems like I remember a nurse mentioning the synthetic version. I consider it to be a hero pain killer.

I am so sorry to hear about your crash, and you have my best wishes for a full and speedy recovery!

A universal truth of life, is that anything fun carries great risk. As a pilot and aircraft owner, dirt bike rider, street bike rider and bicyclist, I am all to aware of risk. Even swimming in the ocean is rather risky. I had a bad bicycle crash during a race, and nearly drowned in the ocean.

While flying a small plane is statistically not much safer than motorcycling, I can control some common aspects of flying risk that simply cannot be avoided on a motorcycle. (some common risks are fuel exhaustion, VFR to IMC, and loss of control due to showing off)

I've cheated death for years, I really think my SV1000s is going up for sale along with my airplane. Maybe it is time to be a boring old man and avoid the most common risks. Time to play golf and enjoy shuffleboard..... My skill and ability is in slow decline.

Lone Ranger, be advised that too much Tylenol will damage your liver. Doctors use to recommend a limit of 4000 mg per 24 hours, now they recommend a limit of 3500 mg per 24 hours. As far as your liver is concerned you would be much better off to use an opioid pain medication even it it meant putting up with side effects, compared to using too much Tylenol.

I have lived with back pain for several decades. In the past before I had my back worked on, my pain was so severe that I would sometimes pass out. I have been on many different pain medications over the years, including combinations of Tylenol , opioids, and muscle relaxers all at the same time. If the pain is too much to manage with only 3500 mg of Tylenol per day then it is time to use opioids (possibly combined with Tylenol) to control the pain. Be aware that opioids will put your gut to sleep and result in constipation because of it. When you are on opioids there are other meds that you can take to prevent constipation. Miralax, senokot, and milk-of-magnesia (preferably in tablet form, get it from Wal-Mart online) work well together to counter act the putting your gut to sleep problems of opioids, and now there is a new medication specifically designed to counter act opioid constipation. If you take opioids you will have to experiment with laxatives to find a dosage that works well for you. Most opioids work well for several hours, and then there are several hours when they do not work well before you can take another. Oxycontin is a time release opioid that last 12 hours. It can be hard to find a pharmacy that stocks it because drug-addicts will rob pharmacies to get it and then they chew it to get it to release all at once instead of just swallowing it whole to have it work for 12 hours. Oxycontin because it its slow release, is also one of the best opioids to be on because its steady release works well to keep pain under control for 12 hours and then you can take another, and it works well with laxatives to provide a steady control of constipation.

There are doctors who specialize in treating people who are in pain. They are called Physiatrist, a doctor who treats physical pain,(not to be confused with Psychiatrist, a doctor who treats problems with the mind). Most large cities have a couple of Physiatrist.

Also, when you take Tylenol, it is important to spread out the pills you take over time so you do not take too many of them to close together and damage your liver.

I know the feeling. I gave up on downhill mountain bicycling after landing on my head and running around pounding on people for almost 3 minutes because I was unable to breathe. It seemed to be the best alternative to screaming, while my brain tried to remember how to operate my lungs.

What you went through is one major reason why I have quite wide "chicken strips" on my tires. I refuse to ride deep into corners for fear of exactly this. I've also never bought an MC tire that did not have an aggressive tread pattern.

My sympathies and prayers to you. If your brain and your body are telling you not to do something, then listen to it. Plenty of other adventures to be had in this life.

LR,
get well!

a long time ago, the uncle that taught me to ride a motorcycle (before i could ride a bicycle) told me this:

it is not IF you will crash, but WHEN.

---
i got to ride his harley that year. it was his 1st harley. the one he rode from newton,kansas to newportnews,virgina to get on his ship for the navy and the korean war. i sure do miss that stubborn wheat farmer.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Are you the same guy that (several weeks ago) ...

was talking about selling the Ducati because of DOCTOR ORDERS ...

to "reduce vibration" in your life due to a detached retina issue???????

If so...... then - YES - - you need to seriously reevaluate life choices!!

Yes, but was cleared to ride again at the last follow-up appt 15th of Feb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back