Craftsman toolkit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was mooching around Costco after buying some mineral water for the house yesterday and as usual had a look at the tool aisle.

They have a new product which looked decent value.

The exact specifics of the toolkit are not the query though it had 200 pieces I think.

What I would like to know is when everybody has mentioned that some Craftsman tools are now made in china would they say "Forged in the USA" on them?

There was only a few tools that you could get your hands on a look at properly but they appeared decent quality and the spammers were marked up as mentioned.

I have been saving for a while for a decent toolkit and this is well priced.

Will have a look at the Costco site to see if I can find the details and price.

But if it is indeed made in USA I take it that these shall be decent tools?

Ive never had an issue with US made Craftsman. Always a good value.

Problem is paying full price, or even if a discount for third world junk that causes another job to be offshored and another person to go on the public dole.

Maybe they are "NOS"? Perhaps not all Craftsman stuff is offshored (yet???).

I bought the 600 something piece I have been happy with the tools. I have broke the 1/4 drive ratchet but it was pretty much my fault. That being said imdomt care for craftsman ratchets

Found it on US website.

It is the 154 piece Mechanics Tool Kit.

On sale at $99 in the US, not that cheap in the UK.

Definately said Forged in the USA on the spanners I looked at.

Seemed decent quality especially as most tools even in trade places are made in China in the UK these days.

Unless you have premises and can get on the rounds of one of the MacTools or Snap-On franchise holders.

They still let you buy on weekly payments with very little, if any, interest.

My budget doesn't really allow Mac Or Snap On but these looked good enough for me.

Will have a proper look to see if I can find out definatively if the are US made.

I purchased the Craftsman 174 piece tool set at Costco that you're probably talking about. I bought it 2 months ago when it was on sale for $79.99. Right now they're selling them for $99.99. It's a really good solid set, and yes all the parts are stamped made in the U.S.A. I compared to Sears (which doesn't carry the 174 piece but they carry 181 piece, etc.), and they cost approximately $60 or more compared to Costco. I see you live in England, so maybe it's a different set and obviously different price, but FYI for the price of the tool set I'd definitely buy it.

I looked on the Craftsman USA website and the box lookedike the 154 piece kit, from memory it had three ratchets of different sizes.

I wish I could pay those prices!

But if it is under £100 inc Vat then it is reasonably priced for the UK.

"Forged in the USA" is just another way of saying made in the USA.

Sears has claimed the tool kits would stay USA made. So, at least for now, the tool kits are still USA made. The open stock tools are mostly being replaced by Chinese tools.

I get the best prices online thru ebay..there a a few sellers on there selling brand new Craftsman tools for really cheap. I bought a 1/2" metric deep socket set (went up to 21mm) for only $28.

Also - my local ACE hardware has starteed carrying a HUGE line of craftsman. I mean - 3 isles worth and I checked the rachets and all were USA.

You could easily have a few piece difference in size for a "UK Costco special". Ironically, your 154 (or whatever) piece set might have less filler than our 129 piece. Stuff like screwdriver bits, Hex/Allen wrenches and ignition wrenches that never get used.

Read up on garagejournal as they examine the subject in length. The condensed version is "new stuff" like spline drive, pass through, and ratcheting wrenches/spanners are more likely to be chinese than "core" sockets and wrenches which already have the tooling in the US.

Originally Posted By: gnp
I purchased the Craftsman 174 piece tool set at Costco that you're probably talking about. I bought it 2 months ago when it was on sale for $79.99. Right now they're selling them for $99.99. It's a really good solid set, and yes all the parts are stamped made in the U.S.A. I compared to Sears (which doesn't carry the 174 piece but they carry 181 piece, etc.), and they cost approximately $60 or more compared to Costco. I see you live in England, so maybe it's a different set and obviously different price, but FYI for the price of the tool set I'd definitely buy it.

I saw that set yesterday, nice set. Even had 6 point wrenches!

Going back to Costco when Pension gets paid on 6th February.

Hope it is still in stock.

Will update what is in it if they are still in stock.

Might not be that useful for US based Bitogers but may assist those based in the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back