Could brake cleaner be absorbed through the skin

I was doing some work on my differential, spraying brake cleaner on the diff cover, while holding it. It was a continious 1 minute plus spraying. This morning I woke up feeling a little weak with a general feeling of malaise. I just wonder if it was the brake cleaner absorbed through my skin.

Yes and no.

Yes, it can be absorbed. The tissue damage is going to be limited to the skin in general and not systemic.

But no, it’s not the absorption that might have you queesy. It’s the inhalation. You can have effects from breathing vapors, which match what you are describing much better.

I was doing some work on my differential, spraying brake cleaner on the diff cover, while holding it. It was a continious 1 minute plus spraying. This morning I woke up feeling a little weak with a general feeling of malaise. I just wonder if it was the brake cleaner absorbed through my skin.
Chlorinated or non?

Yes it can be absorbed through the skin.

Maybe formulations are different or you’re sensitive to some ingredients in it BUT I’d doubt that’s why you’re not feeling well. As a young idiot I used to wash my hands with brake clean. Never had any immediate or next day effects. I’m sure it did my body no favors though and I’d not recommend it. Really I wouldn’t recommend doing much of anything I did in my late teens to mid 20s.

There's one guy on here that recommends wearing gloves and a respirator when handling windshield washer fluid. I'm not going to mention any names.

No rubber gloves in Malaysia? I can't imagine working under a car without them.
If it was really that dangerous, don't you think there'd be a huge warning label on the front of the can? Maybe a skull and cross bones and a radioactive symbol.

Malaysia doesn't have the ambulance chasing lawyers or product liability laws that we do here. Labels may not even list the toxic ingredients.
I can tell you right now that there are thousands of mechanics everyday throughout the world using brake cleaner everyday without PPE and they're living perfectly fine. They would tell you if you're that squeamish about chemicals, you're in the wrong business.

Back