super tech brake parts cleaner worthless?

I liked CRC red can the most, that green can stuff is jank. I noticed a can of Supertech on one of @TiGeo 's posts and asked him if it was worth the 3$
He said it was, I bought a can and it works fine imo.

The carb cleaner is slightly better than the brake parts cleaner, I have to use double of Supertech brake parts cleaner vs their carb cleaner.

I use a lot of that stuff and it works pretty well for me. It's nowhere near as good as the old ZEP and CRC brake cleaners of yesteryear though. Ran out of the surplus of 1971 copyright date CRC brake cleaner my dad accumulated over the years, years ago. That stuff was awesome. One thing I will say though, the CRC lectra-motive parts cleaner I have smells and works just like the old CRC brake cleaner....

I use a lot of that stuff and it works pretty well for me. It's nowhere near as good as the old ZEP and CRC brake cleaners of yesteryear though. Ran out of the surplus of 1971 copyright date CRC brake cleaner my dad accumulated over the years, years ago. That stuff was awesome. One thing I will say though, the CRC lectra-motive parts cleaner I have smells and works just like the old CRC brake cleaner....
What's the difference between carb cleaner and brake cleaner? Atkeast I cab still use it to kill wasps. Lol one good spray and the nest drops to the ground.

What's the difference between carb cleaner and brake cleaner? Atkeast I cab still use it to kill wasps. Lol one good spray and the nest drops to the ground.
I've used the Supertech carb and brake cleaner a lot. I quit buying the carb cleaner and just started buying the brake cleaner since the cans are bigger. Can't say I noticed much of a difference between the two actually using them and both melt wasps on contact.

Reactions: hrv
I've used all different brands and I haven't noticed much different except I'm not a fan of the CRC.

It doesn't evaporate like other brake cleaner and stays wet, not to mention the fumes are much more potent and will stink up the whole area

I noticed that with the last can of Suoertech I bought. I’ve been buying O’Reilly’s brake cleaner lately.

Berryman makes a “CARB-legal” chlorinated brake cleaner - it uses Oxsol(parachlorotribenzofluoride, PCTBF for short) and it seems to work decently well. Pricey though - low VOC, it’s the same solvent used in 2.1VOC car paints.

I've used mostly ST non-chlorinated for many years and keep a bunch on hand. Works good for me. I mail ordered a bunch a few months ago when it was under $3/can.

Agree 100%, only the real deal CRC for me. I akin it similar to Q-tips, 3m [blue] painters tape and others. Only the name brand will do for me, trying to off brand = disappointment nearly all of the time.

PS: I have found that Acetone (Sourced from hardware store in 1Qt can) is very economical, zero odor after ~60 seconds and easy to use for multiple applications

I use the ST brake cleaner all the time and it does the job just fine. I can't tell the difference between the ST and the CRC branded cleaner so I buy the cheaper stuff.

You can thank the EPA for that. Also paint strippers that hardly do anything anymore.
TCE, the active ingredient in chlorinated brake cleaner, is a well known carcinogen tied to liver and kidney tumors and also increases your risk of Parkinson's Disease. I'm pretty okay with not using it. No idea about the environment, but the non-chlorinated solvents are actually quite a bit safer from a health perspective.

I've had excellent luck with Supertech as well as Menard's brand brake cleaner.

Cleaned many diffs, oil filter housings, etc. with the stuff.

Supertech brake cleaner is the only brake cleaner I buy. Cheap and works just as good as all the other more expensive brands. Never had issues with ST brake cleaner

Back