Could 10w-40 cause oil consumption in a 3.4 Tacoma?

I've run 5w-40 in mine most of its life. Even a couple runs of 15w-40. Mostly 10k OCI. At 295k mine uses no oil.
I was considering Rotella T6 5w-40, but I was concerned it might damage my cats and cause overheating.

I was considering Rotella T6 5w-40, but I was concerned it might damage my cats and cause overheating.
How much oil is your engine burning? If the oil isn’t getting up the converter it’s not going to damage it. The one time I saw a CEL for converter efficiency due to oil consumption the vehicle was burning somewhat in excess of 1 quart per 500 miles.

Or are you concerned that an oil with a 5W winter rating is “too thin”? If that’s the case then that’s not how it works.

How much oil is your engine burning? If the oil isn’t getting up the converter it’s not going to damage it. The one time I saw a CEL for converter efficiency due to oil consumption the vehicle was burning somewhat in excess of 1 quart per 500 miles.

Or are you concerned that an oil with a 5W winter rating is “too thin”? If that’s the case then that’s not how it works.
It's about a quart every 1000 miles. I've heard the Zinc in the diesel oils can be bad for your cats. Granted mine is original so idk how much it's still doing anyway,

I've had two 5VZ's and neither burned any oil, literally nothing over a 6K OCI. Something is wrong, the PCV, stuck rings or worn guides.
The only Toyota I’ve had that didn’t burn copious amounts of oil was my old 98 3RZ Tacoma with 160k miles, but the frame was rotting. I’m guessing it must be the guides in this one since the compression is good and the PCV was just replaced.

2001 Taco 5vz 255k. 3-4k mi oil changes since new, usually 10-30 dino. Has never needed a drop of anything but brake fluid and washer juice lol. And the frame didn't rust. Must have got lucky or a Wednesday truck. Next time will be M1 15-40. I had bought some but put in the Honda Turbo Jetskis.

Might want to try a quart of the HPL Engine Cleaner first to get a good cleanse. Either use the recommended viscosity when you OCI and HPL, or use the HPL with current fill if you can go another 1-2K. I'd do this before throwing different oils at it hoping to reduce the consumption.

The PCV was recently replaced. By a ring soak, you mean Marvel Mystery Oil?
Previous owner said he changed it according to posts. People can say lots of things to make a sale. PCV's are normally not expensive and pretty easy to change.

Lots of piston soak versions listed on here. Depends how aggressive you want to get. Friend at VW uses BG EPR flush on the VW oil burners. I think he said it was a TSB. Hot motor, add EPR, about 1500 rpm for like 20 minutes, drain oil, replace filter, refill.

After that I would do the HPL engine cleaner.

Maxlife Red Bottle, piston soak or Rislone Engine Treatment or HPL EC30/40 for a bit and see if it helps after a while. I like Maxlife for valve stems seals a lot but have been using QS All mileage without issues as well for a bit. On a 6cyl I would run the Rislone or EC30/40 for a couple oci's and see if it helps reduce consumption. May take a while be patient. Amazon has a good deal on the Rislone for a 6pk $35, can't beat it really

Apparently some engines will burn more oil when using a thicker grade, because the oil control rings can't handle the oil volume if the oil is too thick. Here's a video from Lake Speed Jr discussing this. The context of the video is modern cylinder coatings that help retain oil on the cylinder wall, which may not apply to your old Toyota, but if you've got clogged up oil control rings (a known issue with some Toyotas), it may be that they will work better with a thinner grade of oil, resulting in less blowby. The only way to know is to document your oil consumption with your current oil and then with a thinner grade.
Thanks for posting that link and for taking the time to set the point where the relevant discussion started. I like LSjr and believe he's worth listening to.

Back