Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
Why run them a long time?
They are $5/each.

5 dollars each for copper plugs?
where are you getting ripped off at?

laugh.gif

Exactly !

Since the OP is in the Caribbean, I'll wager he doesn't have Amazon or AAP...

30K for a normally aspirated engine but I found a noticeable difference with new plugs at 15K in my old Volvo Turbo. It really liked fresh plugs. And it didn't like exotic plugs like platinum, copper worked best.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

Since the OP is in the Caribbean, I'll wager he doesn't have Amazon or AAP...

30K for a normally aspirated engine but I found a noticeable difference with new plugs at 15K in my old Volvo Turbo. It really liked fresh plugs. And it didn't like exotic plugs like platinum, copper worked best.

The supply chain has improved greatly over the past 20 years, which is the last time I sailed down there.

There are NAPAs in the USVI and I recall one of the sailing forums I belong to has mentioned Amazon Prime did work down there at one point.

Now the question would be where in the Caribbean is the OP located?

And what vehicle is he installing plugs in? If it is a popular model, for instance, an economical AWD Suzuki, Toyota, etc, then his local auto parts is likely to have something as common as plugs.

But if he resides in Far Tortuga then its another matter.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted By: oldhp
What is a copper spark plug? Do you mean copper core? Almost all plugs have a copper core to aid in heat removal.
yeah I was going to say same thing. Its Nickel not copper - all plugs are copper core.

Having run V power USA Denso Junk - I would try something else. Champs are better than V -power. V Power run too hot in any app I tried them in and wore fast. Second bet would be STD nickel Bosch plugs. Then Denso Hot U. NGK is bottom of list for Nickel plugs. Their IR seem good for and extended tip plug - which I don't like in performance applications.

BTW, Subaru HATE NGK.

I haven't used them in a few years, but when I was using them in my older Hondas back in the day, Denso/Nippondenso copper plugs worked best in those cars. My 80s Accords loved them, even better than NGK. Best plug I ever used in those cars and I tried a lot of them. Pizza delivery and college student usage, so I piled on a lot of miles. Had an 86 and later an 88.

Sorry , I meant "USA made NGK Junk" not denso. Denso hot U is a SO MUCH BETTER plug than a NGK V power it aint funny.
This big tune trick is to get a heat range the CC likes with the current tune and operating water coolant temp.

Eary 90's Subaru 1.8 seemed to only work well with USA made RC8YC4 Champs - which they came from Japan with! Mide 90's 2.2 liked Denso factory OE only. 2.2 Ran terrible with 6 or 5 heat range NGK.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted By: oldhp
What is a copper spark plug? Do you mean copper core? Almost all plugs have a copper core to aid in heat removal.
yeah I was going to say same thing. Its Nickel not copper - all plugs are copper core.

Having run V power USA Denso Junk - I would try something else. Champs are better than V -power. V Power run too hot in any app I tried them in and wore fast. Second bet would be STD nickel Bosch plugs. Then Denso Hot U. NGK is bottom of list for Nickel plugs. Their IR seem good for and extended tip plug - which I don't like in performance applications.

BTW, Subaru HATE NGK.

V POwer is NGK, not denso. If the V-Power is too hot, then run a colder heat range spark plug.

If Subaru hates NGK, then why does Subaru use and recommend NGK? Your crosstrek uses NGK SILZKAR7B11 from the factory and is what is stocked at dealerships, which is a NGK Laser Iridium

Read my post with correction above. I was talking Nickel plugs of a larger form factor in older applications.

NGK gnd wires erode faster than anything ive used - show poor material selection. with the advent of Ir plugs and COP most sparker related iggy problems have gone away. (unless you have a Honda automotive engine with exhaust ports running adjacent to the mini coils. This is a newer design with cast in exhaust manifold. head bolts right onto catcon flange. Yipes! )

Many Japanese Subaru came with heatrange 8 or 9 Champion U.S.A. plugs. Guess why?
Later use NipponDenso K20pru-11

NGK V-Power's are worshiped on the Dakota forums. Something about the heat qualities of the copper core, and the Iridiums not having the same qualities. At least that is the talk.

The reality? I tried some in my Dakota, and they work. That's about all I can say.

I use NGK V powers on all three of my vehicles

They came stock on the Falco and the Pathfinder and are VERY highly recommended among Buick enthusiasts. NGK plugs are the default standard in the motorcycle world with pretty much every single bike made today leaving the factory with them. The dictionary definition of ubiquitous should have a bike with NGK logo next to it.

The Buick has had the same set for almost 5 years 40k+ miles. I re gapped them once around 30k miles and have never had to clean them.

NGKs are a fine plug - 30K is a good replacement timeframe for them. They can go on for longer but you'll be stuck, a Accord I used to maintain had them in for 40K and the car had a hard time starting. I was under the impression Honda used platinum NGKs but nope.

In the MG community, there is somewhat of a divide between NGK and Champion.

Champion plugs were the OEM spec, but many folks have had quality issues in the past few years with Champion. I've always just stuck with plain copper core NGKs, and have zero issues.

That's the only car I run these days with coppers. I have no idea when they'll get changed, but the car gets low enough mileage that it will be a while. Truth be told, all the ignition parts with the exception of points(junk parts) tend to have a pretty long life in those cars. A lot of folks will change their cap, rotor, wires, and plugs every 5 years or so, even though it's really overkill for the amount most are driven.

Last edited:
Nippondenso is probably of higher quality than NGK.

The latest in spark-plug technology is the Nippondenso iridium twin-tip. It combines the long life of iridium with the highest combustion efficiency caused by using the thinnest possible electrodes (least quenching of the initial fire ball). In other words it's the best of the both worlds: longest life and highest combustion efficiency (highest horsepower and best fuel economy combined with longest life).

The only problem is whether you can afford the Denso iridium twin-tip. It is really expensive.

http://densott.com/

Toyota whitepaper on Denso iridium twin-tip:

iDxf0OPgNAm3rkbsSQbVk_dA-_PwmdILAZ01ynrl8-hOIkihicmdX5Zk9d9hOpQ_vN8xG2QftzQqSY0A06UjGoP6OgLzB75FtgDan4NJQw5fY-BE6mg_PWz6Swi7JZnWotPnC7xzWX1LFVWG_jEr8G7Q7hzATLK0jnp7kdj7r22AK-PYlyYTBmZnbnWOixAeIDn0eXANQDlU2wDqeL0WY9FDuBgxW9Z-S744AEtiHkhq16_NFz59IdnfJ5YlaGR9Jboxen6KufYxY7mHggivLKgiWShv79F_UGKH2gSgY8yZw1ZzLOUpWBueaKwszU39NShPkVJU5jbBGys07tot57gFYB3ypxifRvFZRtmvaFAZU2bawewpriSJ2RLTFntwVQF70Ub-D_GwOPokHfCrqaXeVxSz39RsVZ6k6Hp93hLMdtFvaNTR2ZMUPIKfXYqTVnKj45ZDg0vj8eLKIAhZoArLd6SE9iae4CqldGvykDU1SnknW0dn6fT3Zo5uZqQkPKaDHJ81w04Y2wZGW7dygJ14j_LQ-EJ3YZH4sHTvrOjagPgHqdtQBK-Chg6G5zvDcvmJe0xiH2AKm9yvA1iqk5xwWm3Pjcqx6oX1R74l_SDf7I3J3nPChnWoHg=w1447-h1980-no

the "white paper" doesn't say anything about the protruded platinum tip, about it's anti-quenching effect of the flame kernel.

I would try twin tips, but various sites have conflicting information for application for my car, especially the gap, since the 1.1mm gap doesn't work too well with my turbocharged german engine.

VAG uses NGK spark plugs (and Bosch) from the factory. Denso plugs are not used, though other Denso supplied parts make their way into the car assembly.

I have a set of unused TT laying around that I bought for my 2011Ford Ranger 2.3 if anybody wants them
smile.gif
I had to blueprint them - they were surprisingly sloppy out of the box compared to OE replacement plugs ive used. These are best for waste spark ignition. I see no benefit for COP over fine wire Ir.

I'm not a big fan of extended tips in tuned applications. Very inconsistent power results.

Back in the 70's we used to clip the gnd electrode, file a flat on the centre electrode then SIDEGAP the GND to the Centre.

NO flame front quenching.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
the "white paper" doesn't say anything about the protruded platinum tip, about it's anti-quenching effect of the flame kernel.

I would try twin tips, but various sites have conflicting information for application for my car, especially the gap, since the 1.1mm gap doesn't work too well with my turbocharged german engine.

VAG uses NGK spark plugs (and Bosch) from the factory. Denso plugs are not used, though other Denso supplied parts make their way into the car assembly.

If the Denso Web sites don't list your car, they don't make a spark plug for your car.

http://www.globaldenso.com/en/products/aftermarket/plug/
http://densott.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back