Coot's Shanty Lots of pics, low bandwidth alert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow... now thats pretty cool. I have an uncle in the midwest who lives in a house with no AC/heat (uses a wood stove). It is a lot worse as he doesn't have a computer but ... sure brought back memories. I think us city dwellers are spoiled.
frown.gif

Coot is my BITOG hero. Maybe one day I will live a Coot-inspired minimalist lifestyle.

Quote:

hey coot, why gun behind the lampshade?

Odds are against neer-do-wells kicking in the door to abscond with my meager possessions.

But, you never know and I believe in being prepared.

Fighting knife pictured is kept next to bed. "Rifle" is a pump air gun capable of shooting pellets or BBs. At close range it can kill if shot placed properly then it can be used for butt strokes, etc.

Of course, 220 pounds of muscle and lard behind the critter can be a good deterrent.

But, Coot IS trending toward actual cootness. Slowing down a little and getting lazy. Been pondering a pump shotgun for those possible rare scenarios. Or if enough good citizens decide it's time to back the government that once belonged to the people but that's anuddah story.

"time to back the government"

Whoops. Alter sentence to "take back the government" with the phrase a comment upon SOCIAL issues, not political.

SOCIAL!!!!!!

Quote:

Coot is my BITOG hero. Maybe one day I will live a Coot-inspired minimalist lifestyle.

An admirable goal.

Preferable to not be forced into it, though.

Quote:

Well Coot the grass is greener in your Nebraska town than in mine. Maybe special Coot fertilizer and technique...

Nay. "Lawn" is a special blend comprised mainly of wind-blown and bird turd deposited seeds of many species.

Most popular is the clover stuff that never grows over an inch or two high, negating the need for mowing. A huge variety of other green growing things poke their unruly heads above the clover, shout for joy at the sun's rays, and propel themselves upwards. Those are the units that require the use of the Toro gas-engined plant head lopper offer self-propelled device.

Only during the worst drought is the morass watered. Let the critters survive on their own the hard-hearted Coot exclaims. Don't want flammables surrounding the shanty, though, so once every so often, after a couple months without rain, liquid life is applied to the mini-jungle. Plants obviously appreciate the effort since they have never evolved into flesh eating predators capable of grabbing and holding me while their sappish digestive juices slowly dissolve me as my screams fill the neighborhood.

Hard to describe the multitude of growing things infesting the landscape. Coot senses a possible need for a photo-essay of yard requiring its own posting hereabouts.

Quote:

bird turd

Finest Nebraskan guano?

Quote:

Most popular is the clover stuff that never grows over an inch or two high, negating the need for mowing.

If live gives you clover, make honey. Look into beekeeping! (Also keeps riff-raff away)

"Coot senses a possible need for a photo-essay of yard requiring its own posting hereabouts."

I'll look forward to that one. I personally would enjoy a photo essay entitled, "A Typical Day in the Life of Coot". Just a suggestion.

I don't think Old Coot (I'm using it like a name from now on!) is the gardening type. So it'll likely be clover-flavored honey with subtle hints of dandelions and nightshade. By the way, I think Old Coot would look cool in a beekeeper's outfit.

Coot, you leave those "weeds" alone, and they'll "self assemble" into a reasonable caricature of a "lawn", well at least a meadow or paddock.

Could be a series.

Week three: shanty's garage exposed. Raw, unadulterated, lured by forbidden passion and primeval lust, the viewer will see all the innards and sundry contents of the oft-heard-of but seen-by-few.......

Coot's garage guts.

Maybe not.

Quote:

Quote:

hey coot, why gun behind the lampshade?

It keeps cougars away. You see any cougars around here? No? Well there you go, it works!

Actually, perhaps due to the low population density of Nebraska, barring a couple metro area, within a 15 mile radius of the shanty, two cougars/pumas/mountain lions/ have been killed in the past three years.

Riverine-type vegetation here with many corn fields and a LOT of deer. Perfect for pumas. We have a resident population of unknown size. Three miles to west is the Elkhorn River, excellent big cat habitat. Creek a few hundred feet south of the shanty is a perfect travelling conduit for cougars.

Coot does keep an eye open when leaving shanty at twilight, dawn and night time in general. A quick glance to the roof, keep alert. Same as I do when in the rougher part of town; always be aware of your surroundings and always send a few glances skyward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back