Coot's Shanty Lots of pics, low bandwidth alert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Questioned a couple times about various aspects of the oft-referred to shanty. Well, in the spirit of the season, yer resident Old Coot will allow the humble unwashed masses a rare peek into a dwelling wherein outsiders SELDOM enter. A handfull in 12 years time with most of them either the owners (my uncle and aunt) a plumber now and then and a couple other relatives, who, for some reason, never came back. Evidence of the lack of intruders is the single chair in the living room that is more akin to an office of a poorly-paid private detective working with the seemier side of society.

Looky!!!! Coot has a TV, DVD player, a wall, a window (never have washed the thing) and a wall!!!!!!
Various001.jpg

Note plastic furniture, including table's top. Wix mug with water makes a (cough) great tray of ash. Cardboard on windows mainly to help insulate from winter's cold. Covered with bubble wrap in winter. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Various002-1.jpg

This set is the living room/office/secondary bedroom... sometimes fall asleep watching TV while on floor.

Various003.jpg

Coot has a kitchen!!!!! No table, eat at the desk.

Various006.jpg

Ever hear of a Norge refrigerator? Bought used 12 years ago. Keeps food cold. What a concept!!! Note plastic shelves. Light, easy to move, can be easily disassembled. Love 'em.

Various007.jpg

Indoor outhouse.

Various012.jpg

A pallet. Obscure term for a sleeping platform. You want one? Well, 4x8 3/4-inch plywood. 6 4x4's around a foot long laying flat underneath so it's harder for bugs to crawl on you (make 'em work at it). Two sheets of dense foam rubber 4x7 feet long. Cover with sheet. Very firm.
Various015.jpg

Coot has an air conditioner!!!! Went a few years without one but the high humidity makes sleep tough in summer so. Shanty is so small that A/C and a fan to push air out of the bedroom cools entire shanty. Another plastic shelf and, a rare item... the receiver is a Sansui QRX-9001 quadraphonic unit from 1976. Finest quad receiver ever built. Younguns', quad was the surround sound of the 70s and superior to today's surround sound for music in Coot's opinion. More books. Coot has read at least a thousand of 'em. Likely more.

Thrift store chair. A barcalounger. Expensive, new. Thrift store let me have it for 20 bucks. Hadn't shaved, wore work clothes, they thought i was a bum and halved the price. Hey!!! I AM a bum. Nice chair, used for music listening, surrounded by 4 speakers, two of which are from.... thrift store!!!! $360 a pair new, 24 bucks in like-new condition and made in USA. So is chair!!! I am too!!!!

Various019.jpg

Sumpthin' you'll likely never see again. WW2 Marine Corps fighting knife altered in a machine shop within an aircraft carrier in the western Pacific during WW2. Inherited from old man. Handle and butt altered by swabbie. Combat souveniers traded for the work being done. A fine customized knife with a history. Grrrrrrrrrr.......

Various023.jpg

This is the shanty shop-vac thingy. Second in garage. Every shanty needs a shop-vac.

Various025.jpg

Additions to shanty over the years include the front porch where the washer/dryer are, the bedroom, the inside outhouse and this closet that was used as a bedroom by prior tenants. Coot has clothes!!!! Note plastic furniture to right. Wood furniture made by old man, kept as a memento. Only reason the heavy thing is kept.

Various026.jpg

It struggles against the cold. Coot can relate to igloo living.

Various030.jpg

Shanty trying to imitate a southern plantation.

Various044.jpg

South side. When the rain and hail is cascading down and the tornado sirens wail their scary cry a semi-clad Coot can be seen scampering to the dirt floor cellar where countless spiders, centipedes and unidentified creepy crawlers dwell. A wonderful time for all. Cellar door at a slope. Inside the living room is to the left and the closet to the right.

Various049.jpg

This concludes the shanty tour. Very doubtful that the camera crew of :ifestyles of the Rich and Famous will knock on the door. So far, no law enforcement knocks. No tresspassing and keep out signs faded into decay then thrown away. Didin't have to replace. But, when Coot is outside and the school kids walk or drive by pert' near always hear a shout and a wave. Sniff. At least somebody likes the old fat guy who substitute teaches.

Oh, what the heck.... another memento. This one's mine.

Various027.jpg

Y'all come back now, yah' hear?

patriot.gif

An excellent phototour.
Questions:
Who made the artwork visible on the wall in the second pic?
What liquid is in the interesting bottles on top of the fridge?

Quote:

This is the shanty shop-vac thingy. Second in garage. Every shanty needs a shop-vac.

LOL! . . .
laugh.gif

The only thing I see wrong with the entire place is that your garden hose is not properly stowed away in a coil formation.
grin.gif

Quote:

An excellent phototour.
Questions:
Who made the artwork visible on the wall in the second pic?
What liquid is in the interesting bottles on top of the fridge?

Local school kids enraptured with Cootish behavior. I am a substitute teacher. Can not understand why so many of the kids get so excited when I am their sub. Can be quite strict. High school girl made the wall poster in art class after being in my class and dropped it by later. Girls and guys like the Coot. Perhaps because, unlike so many other teachers (in my opinion) I treat the kids with respect and am not on a power kick and lord over the munchkins.

Olive oil, vegetable oil, brandy with one drink gone and left alone the last 7 years. Tasted like crappola. Had 3 beers a summer or two ago.

Neighbors report a man fitting the general description of Jimmy Hoffa leaving the residence at odd hours.....

All the comforts ..none of the bulk.

I envy you, sir. Shanty life is is so underrated.
cool.gif

Be careful who you share this information with. No need for a run on the limited inventory of shanties.
blush.gif

No ...but I think it's a can of Butcher's wax on one of his shelves there. He may use that thinking it's PZ or QS
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back