Coolant shelf life

Does coolant have a shelf life (sealed container)? Or even an opened container with the cap back on...

I don't think that coolant degrades. Think of the environment to which coolant is exposed. That's a rough neighborhood.

From the internet:[google]
The chemical ingredients in antifreeze/coolant are quite stable and virtually never degrade. This means that the commercial product you've purchased can really sit on your shelf almost indefinitely without ever going bad—provided, of course, that you keep the container sealed against dirt and other contaminants. Dec. 27, 2018

Gosh, I hope there isn't. I did a flush and fill of my sons Kia with 10 year old coolant, brand new in bottle, but 10 years old. Seems to be fine.

Thanks everyone, this is why I don't rely on a simple google search.

A few previous threads on this topic:

Wonder why those didn't show up when I searched! Thank you kaschachn!

Leaving them in direct sunlight does something though...

Idiot neighbor left 3 unopened bottles outside the barn door for a full northeast year, in the sunlight.
When I used them finally the coolant was clear and cloudy (concentrate zerex g05).
He didn't care, therefore I didn't.

2 years later, functions fine.

Does coolant have a shelf life (sealed container)? Or even an opened container with the cap back on...
Sealed container? Indefinitely.

Open container? For top offs due to ever so slight consumption, coolant system work, or "I've got a leak and I need to get this thing to the shop!"? Until you need another flush in a few years. After the flush, I'd suggest turning it in as if it were used coolant.

Some of these coolants, especially Dex-Cool, don't age well when exposed to air, and GM somehow didn't seem to think this was a problem, so if the bottle is open, consider the clock "ticking" just like the stuff that's in your system now.

Other coolants aren't so bad, but especially "Don't pour from a really old open Dex-Cool."

Back