Coolant Recovery Tank Cap

Topping up the coolant overflow tank and I think a gasket flew off the cap to somewhere. Can't find it. They aren't pressurized on a 2017 Corolla, are they? Just want to make sure I can still drive without getting stranded.

Topping up the overflow tank and I think a gasket flew off the cap to somewhere. Can't find it. They aren't pressurized on a 2017 Corolla, are they? Just want to make sure I can still drive without getting stranded.
If it doesn't have a vent hole but screws on tight and has a pressure listing and warning and has (or did have) a gasket - I think it might be pressurized

My FORD 2L is.

This corolla is pressurized:

corolla 2l.jpg

This corolla BELOW appears NOT to be pressurized:

17 corolla overflow.jpg

If it doesn't have a vent hole but screws on tight and has a pressure listing and warning and has (or did have) a gasket - I think it might be pressurized

My FORD 2L is.

This corolla is pressurized:

View attachment 186910

This corolla BELOW appears NOT to be pressurized:

View attachment 186912
Mine is not screw on. Just a push down snap type. If you zoom in on the picture that's the underside, you can maybe see the gasket looking around the middle plastic knob doohickey. I have a radiator cap that's obviously pressurized and then the plastic cap on the overflow.

Here's a real pic that looks like mine from eBay. Oddly, some of the replacement caps on eBay don't have the gasket inside...

If it's the one in your linked picture it does not have a gasket.

If it's the one in your linked picture it does not have a gasket.
You can see it on this replacement one, too. It sits inside the underside of the cap. The cap still clicks on but it's loose, compared to when the gasket was on it. I'm still searching all the pans and under the car for it. I saw it drop downwards. Pulled all the plastic stuff off and nothing in the plastic pan shield things under the car. WHERE DID IT GO?????? What's a silly waste of time. A new cap from Toyota is a few bucks, just want to know if it's pressurized because I commute a distance. If it's not, I'll just order one from Toyota and stop worrying for the next days.

Are you able to still use it?
I think so. It was very pliable and rubbery and just needed to be placed inside the cap. Cap doesn't wiggle now when it's on. I'll let you know later this week if I'm getting a tow home after losing all my coolant for sure 🤣 I'm guessing it just kind of stuck to the neck of the overflow tank and when taking the cap off the lip that clicks over the neck flung it off.

I think so. It was very pliable and rubbery and just needed to be placed inside the cap. Cap doesn't wiggle now when it's on. I'll let you know later this week if I'm getting a tow home after losing all my coolant for sure 🤣 I'm guessing it just kind of stuck to the neck of the overflow tank and when taking the cap off the lip that clicks over the neck flung it off.
If it's an overflow reservoir it's not an issue gasket or not. That gasket is more for preventing drips of coolant when going over bumps and cornering. The important thing is that th siphon hose is near the bottom of the overflow bottle or well inserted into a channel tube or "straw" that goes to the bottom of that tank.

You are good to go. Maybe.

Did you fill to the FULL COLD line. Some guys over do it and have coolant leaking when it overflows coolant to the tank when the engine is hot- as it is designed to do.

Have a good week. I hope I helped a bit. I am a old retired mechanic/tech/builder.

Ken - not blond and don't know "Babs"

You can see it on this replacement one, too. It sits inside the underside of the cap. The cap still clicks on but it's loose, compared to when the gasket was on it. I'm still searching all the pans and under the car for it. I saw it drop downwards. Pulled all the plastic stuff off and nothing in the plastic pan shield things under the car. WHERE DID IT GO?????? What's a silly waste of time. A new cap from Toyota is a few bucks, just want to know if it's pressurized because I commute a distance. If it's not, I'll just order one from Toyota and stop worrying for the next days.
You are correct. Just checked my Tundra and there is a rubber gasket on the cap.

If it's an overflow reservoir it's not an issue gasket or not. That gasket is more for preventing drips of coolant when going over bumps and cornering. The important thing is that th siphon hose is near the bottom of the overflow bottle or well inserted into a channel tube or "straw" that goes to the bottom of that tank.

You are good to go. Maybe.

Did you fill to the FULL COLD line. Some guys over do it and have coolant leaking when it overflows coolant to the tank when the engine is hot- as it is designed to do.

Have a good week. I hope I helped a bit. I am a old retired mechanic/tech/builder.

Ken - not blond and don't know "Babs"
Yeah, I fill them after sitting overnight to just under the full line. My wife's Subaru was sitting on the L line too so I topped hers up as well. Probably takes about a cup of coolant about once per year. Typically in fall they start dropping, I'm guessing partially related to the drop in temps.

Back