coolant change interval all of the place

Hi,

I own a 2017 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition, approaching 75,000 miles. The car was been great and trouble free. I was wondering exactly what is the correct mileage/years to drain and refill the coolant? I believe the manual states at 100,000. However, my dealer says every 30,000, my mechanic say every 60,000. My mechanic says waiting till 100,0000 as the manual states in too long to wait. So what is the correct interval??

Thanks

The dealer and mechanic are in business to sell service. Hyundai has a 100,000 mile warranty and if they thought the coolant should be changed sooner, they would have required it as part of the maintenance schedule.

The dealer and mechanic are in business to sell service. Hyundai has a 100,000 mile warranty and if they thought the coolant should be changed sooner, they would have required it as part of the maintenance schedule.
And Hyundai is in the business to make their cars look as low maintenance as possible to drive more sales. Less maintenance before 100k the more carefree the car seems, driving more sales.

I am NOT saying the 100k mark is bad and potentially that is just fine, but... as of late... manufacturers are no better than dealers or mechanics in trying to sell you something. It's all about perception.

There's a method to check the condition of the coolant using a multimeter. I think the idea is that the coolant gets more conductive as it gets more contaminated with metals and its additives get used up.

With the multimeter in DC volt mode, submerge the positive probe into the coolant in the radiator, and attach the negative probe to the negative battery terminal. Apparently, a reading of more than around 300 mV indicates that the coolant should be changed, but I suspect it's different for different engines. I think it's best to get a baseline measurement with new coolant, and then test it every year or two to track how it changes.

My Subaru with 8 year old coolant reads 200 mV. My motorcycle with fresh coolant reads 50 mV. I didn't do a baseline measurement on the bike before changing the coolant, but I tested the resistance of new and old coolants in a container, and the new coolant had a resistance about 50% higher than the used coolant with 14 years and 40k km on it.

I'm not sure how scientific this method is. My only sources are Youtube based.

There's a method to check the condition of the coolant using a multimeter. I think the idea is that the coolant gets more conductive as it gets more contaminated with metals and its additives get used up.

With the multimeter in DC volt mode, submerge the positive probe into the coolant in the radiator, and attach the negative probe to the negative battery terminal. Apparently, a reading of more than around 300 mV indicates that the coolant should be changed, but I suspect it's different for different engines. I think it's best to get a baseline measurement with new coolant, and then test it every year or two to track how it changes.

My Subaru with 8 year old coolant reads 200 mV. My motorcycle with fresh coolant reads 50 mV. I didn't do a baseline measurement on the bike before changing the coolant, but I tested the resistance of new and old coolants in a container, and the new coolant had a resistance about 50% higher than the used coolant with 14 years and 40k km on it.

I'm not sure how scientific this method is. My only sources are Youtube based.
Actually, it's not contamination with metals. It's coolant becoming more conductive due to chemistry changes.

According to the book, mine is past due and yet its another thing that I’ve been putting off. Still collecting the upgraded hoses before scheduling the appointment. Thanks for the reminder/prodding. 🙈

I follow the manufacturer tecommendation. Usually its 10 years 100k but coolant formulations vary.

It sounds like the dealer wants to sell service.

Hi,

I own a 2017 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition, approaching 75,000 miles. The car was been great and trouble free. I was wondering exactly what is the correct mileage/years to drain and refill the coolant? I believe the manual states at 100,000. However, my dealer says every 30,000, my mechanic say every 60,000. My mechanic says waiting till 100,0000 as the manual states in too long to wait. So what is the correct interval??

Thanks

The manufacturer's manual is typically the go-to source for maintenance guidelines. They have extensive knowledge of your vehicle and its specific needs. So, if they suggest 100,000 miles for coolant replacement, it's a safe bet to follow their recommendation.

However: an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

So: your dealer's suggestion of every 30,000 miles ensures you're proactively caring for your cooling system. It's a bit more frequent than the manual's recommendation, but it provides added peace of mind. Similarly, your mechanic's advice of every 60,000 miles strikes a balance between the two, offering a compromise that still keeps your engine running cool.

Go with your mechanic’s recommendation!

Blinker fluid is the one that needs to be changed more frequently. I get mine done down at the local quickie lube.

I think Toyota pink is 10/100 from factory then 5/60 thereafter. Seems arbitrary. How does the second change equate to 1/2 the time and 60% of the distance?

I bought a 10 yo Toyota product dealer serviced which had zero coolant in the overflow and zero to be seen in the radiator with cap removed. Why? Because it hadn’t reached the interval yet. 😡

The manufacturer's manual is typically the go-to source for maintenance guidelines. They have extensive knowledge of your vehicle and its specific needs. So, if they suggest 100,000 miles for coolant replacement, it's a safe bet to follow their recommendation.

However: an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

So: your dealer's suggestion of every 30,000 miles ensures you're proactively caring for your cooling system. It's a bit more frequent than the manual's recommendation, but it provides added peace of mind. Similarly, your mechanic's advice of every 60,000 miles strikes a balance between the two, offering a compromise that still keeps your engine running cool.

Go with your mechanic’s recommendation!
Nice ChatGPT.

30% of the owners manual isnt "abit more frequent" its 3.3x as frequent.

My mechanic told me if someone keeps their car long term till 200,000 plus mileage, its smart to change the coolant at around 60K, not 100K.
Not necessarily 100% true but I feel at 75k its a good time to change it.
also a good time to get a couple drain and fills on the transmission if you havent done so.

If you drive 20,000 miles a year then changing at the 100k mark seems reasonable. If your drive 5000 miles a year I would not wait until the 100k mark.

So every owner needs to come up with the schedule that meets their circumstances and climate.

It depends on how long you want to keep the car. If you wanted to keep the car for 200K or longer, I'd change at 1/2 the recommendation in the manual. I'd go 50k or 4 years. Time may be more important than miles.

Blinker fluid is the one that needs to be changed more frequently. I get mine done down at the local quickie lube.

"Their jokes have the uncanny ability to suck the air out of the room faster than a vacuum on steroids."
Nice ChatGPT.

30% of the owners manual isnt "abit more frequent" its 3.3x as frequent.

Can’t you read without quotes? If it’s -20F outside, and I tell it’s a bit cold outside, will you too get confused and start explaining that -20F is not “a bit”, but very cold? 😁.

From your comment I can tell you read news headlines and did at least ok in elementary school arithmetics. Make sure to put this info into your resume 😁

At least on my Tacoma it’s 10 years or 100K first change. 5 years or 50K after that. Coolant is so easy to change. I use the big mouth funnel that attaches to the radiator.

Confusing, yes. My example is the Lexus. The maintenance schedule states to replace the engine coolant every 30k miles or 24 months. I think this is a bit premature for use with Toyota Long Life coolant.

Additionally, the maintenance schedule and owner's manual do not specify what kind of coolant to use, other than stating, "Coolant must contain ethylene-glycol antifreeze." However, the service manual does specify Toyota Long Life coolant.

My assumption is that the maintenance schedule is addressing the lowest common denominator, in case green Prestone comes into play.

Hi,

Thanks
the dealer is there to make as much money off you as they can...

Back