Cooking for 1 cheaper than going out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: grampi
I can't think of any instance where going out to eat is less expensive than eating at home...plus my cooking is better than any restaurant's...

And the CC would bounce eh ???

edit...might be a great retirement source of income, destroying all the restaurants in the vicinity.

Why don't you just stick to eating crocs and kangaroos...

I like to cook and I certainly eat leftovers. Although I enjoy eating out now and then, my wife and I both prefer to eat at home.

M.O.M.,
first, YOU NEED A GIRLFRIEND! in the land of mamacitas, I can't understand you, man.
second, what are you buying/eating usually?
third, do you know how to cook?

Eating junk food (that cost the restaurant $2) every night for $7 to $8 is no good for you. If you truly want that, you can cook your own junk for $2.

or for $7 to $8 you can buy some quality food that would cost $18.00 if you ate out.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
M.O.M.,
first, YOU NEED A GIRLFRIEND! in the land of mamacitas, I can't understand you, man.

What if GF doesn't like cooking ???

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I usually aim to spend no more than $7-8 when I go out to eat. I can frequently spend less than this, so I've never really seen how going to the grocery store and spending 12-15 on a simple meal pays off other than if you eat left overs for 3 days which I can never do unless it's chili.

You could make 2 items at once, and then alternate your left overs...
I suppose you could go the grocery store hot food counter and buy a roast chicken for $7 which isn't much over what it would cost to make. But they are always so over cooked and dried out...
Pork and chicken thighs are so cheap that its hard not to buy it, work on a few potato recipes(scalloped, mashed, pan fried), and a bag of frozen veggies, and you can make good meals for a fraction of what fast food goes for, let alone a real restaurant.

My wife is a fantastic cook and a savvy grocery shopper. She is away 3 days a week at school. She never eats out while away. About $20 worth of groceries for 3 meals a day for 3 days is much cheaper than you can eat out for.

When at home, she cooks enough so I'll have leftovers to take to work for the week. We spend about $50-60 a week on groceries at home and eat gourmet every night.

If it were up to me, we'd probably eat a lot of Treat Meat and Ramen.

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
Dude *smh*

It costs like a TOTAL of $2 to make spaghetti and that should last you at least two days.

Get filling soups like tomato, cream of potato etc.

When I make spaghetti, it costs a minimum of $10. Pasta is $1, meat is $4, tomato paste is $1, an onion is $1, mushrooms are $2, add $1 for useage of garlic cloves, cheese, herbs and spices.
The best part about cooking my own meals is the food quality.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
M.O.M.,

GF was to keep him busy.

He obviously has too much time on his hands or he's socially awkward or he's alone...
I recommend for starters:
-going to the local church and volunteer. I'm sure some nice ladies will see he's single....
-going to the cheapest MLM cosmetics presentation in town. I'm sure some nice ladies will see he's single....
-checking around for cooking classes. I'm sure some nice ladies will see he's single....

Now back on topic:
crazy bachelor/single with no time or will to cook recipes:

1:
- 1 bread loaf/baguette
- 1-2 tuna cans/other canned fish (preferably in some sauce for taste)
- 1 onion
- 1 tub of yogurt
- 1 can opener + 1 spoon

2:
- 1 pan
- 3 eggs
- bit of oil/butter
- cheese/frozen veggies/bacon/ham/beans
- cook them scrambled or poached

3:
- 1 pan
- 1 bunch of corn tacos shells
- 1 salsa medium spicy jar
- 3 eggs
- 1 pack of grated cheese
- frozen veggies

4:
- 1 grill
- 1 frozen pizza

5:
- 1 bullet/ninja blender
- crazy mix of veggies/fruits/nuts/greens
- 1 cup of brewed black tea (for the caffeine kick)

MOM, you do have 1-2 gallons of water with you in a cooler, don't you?

You can select higher quality foods and better yet organic cooking at home.

When I lived alone I tended to alternate between pasta and rice for dinner. I'd buy mixed vegetables, big bag of them, the frozen sort. PB&J for lunch unless if I was willing to spring for cold cuts. I tend to hate cooking and usually avoid when I can.

Coworker used to only keep breakfast food in his house; he'd limit lunch to $5 and dinner to something similar. Lifelong bachelor who lived in an apartment, paid cash for used cars and would drive them into the ground--so while his eating habits might not be the cheapest he could easily afford them.

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger
When I make spaghetti, it costs a minimum of $10. Pasta is $1, meat is $4, tomato paste is $1, an onion is $1, mushrooms are $2, add $1 for useage of garlic cloves, cheese, herbs and spices.

$10 for how many servings? Next day spaghetti is great.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Eating dinners in restaurants is both fattening and loaded with sodium.

Right, that is one of the main reasons I don't eat out much anymore, the prices and mediocre food packed with sodium and who knows what.

I help out a wedding photographer friend of mine now and then as a second photographer.
A couple of times I really loaded up on the food at the cocktail hour and dinner, didn't feel so great the next day, sodium overload. And these were high end venues.

I only eat out as a social function...it's a good way to get together with family and friends, but in no way compares to the quality or value of cooking and eating at home...

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I usually aim to spend no more than $7-8 when I go out to eat. I can frequently spend less than this, so I've never really seen how going to the grocery store and spending 12-15 on a simple meal pays off other than if you eat left overs for 3 days which I can never do unless it's chili.

Honestly, if you are only spending $7-8 for a meal, you are not eating real food.

Just cook large batches of food when you cook, then have left overs for 5-6 meals ready to go. Eat real food, and will be cheaper.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
M.O.M.,

Nobody said that GF has to be the one cooking.

I just spent 8 days in misery after eating a dish I ordered at a fancy, kitchy restaurant. The chef was named one of the top ten in Detroit and is reputed to use fresh food.

I never had tummy problems when I made my own meals.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
The answer to the original question is that it depends upon WHAT you eat. Home or away.

01.gif

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger

$10 for how many servings? Next day spaghetti is great.

Probably four normal servings, but more like two me-sized servings. Yes, leftover is great. Sometimes I make a huge pot amd freeze individual servings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back