Conventional and Synthetic Oil Explained

rarely if ever + of course if your sponsor is not selling REAL synthetics is any differentiation mentioned!!! Mobil I once was PAO but after the advertising council ruled the castrol syntec was "close enough" to be advertised as synthetic most manufacturers went to all or mostly cheaper above average group III fake synthetics!! Jason has some great vids IF you can keep up with his slightly speediness!!!

The are still good reasons not to use synthetic. If you like doing 3000 mile oil changes, drive short trips and/or have fuel dilution issues, drive an oil burner, or drive something ancient. You'd change the oil out often. Synthetic and its fancy molecular consistency is useless if you can't extend oil change intervals, or if you're not racing.

I like synthetic mostly because I don't have to change oil out for an entire year with no worries of sludge or varnish. It's satisfying too because this was unthinkable just decades ago. Lifter noise and other engine noises seem to come and go with different brands, regardless of oil type. Don't know if it's just slight differences in viscosity or different additives. Combination of both?

Hard to believe that there's that much difference between a group II and a group III base oil. Isn't a modern group II+III API SN "conventional" which is a synthetic blenc with a narrower spread just as stable without much viscosity improvers?

Back