"Consumer Reports ranks Toyota, Lexus most reliable, Mercedes worst"

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's statistics! CR only surveys their subscribers. CRs survey is certainly large but it's also gotten smaller & smaller with fewer respondents.
Sometimes statistics are an inconvenient truth.
Also there are no facts as far as CR surveys smaller and smaller though I am not saying I disagree I will say they are much easier to fill out now but it is still statistics something no one else has.

My experience is that Japanese stuff just goes and goes. European stuff goes to the dealer's service department a lot. if your into pain and suffering buy a used European car. They are way overrated. My opinion based on what I've witnessed.
Really depends on model and engine. Me my self have had bad luck with Toyota Avensis and Auris(Corolla in Us). Something i don't like with Toyota are the expensive parts and under sized brakes. I own Hilux and Land Cruiser.

Sometimes statistics are an inconvenient truth.
Also there are no facts as far as CR surveys smaller and smaller though I am not saying I disagree I will say they are much easier to fill out now but it is still statistics something no one else has.
In 2018 they claimed “more than 500,000” responses, in 2021 and 2022 they claimed “more than 300,000” and even acknowledge that when they went to online only surveys they got significantly less.

I can’t believe Jeep is so low.

I would think a current wrangler would be pretty reliable.
Just wait till Hyundai and Chrysler team up to make hybrids and electric cars!

Seriously though, any car guy could have told you these results. Weird how Acura is below Honda, I would assume the opposite but maybe Acura drivers take their vehicles to the shop more?

I don’t think your 2011 would apply to a 2022 consumer reports reliability graph.
Lol. I am being sarcastic.
The whole exercise by CR doesn’t have any resemblance of validity. In actual research you must determine what is minimum generalizability of survey. In qualitatively methodological research for example minimum of 6 interviews can potentially give you generalizability. In quantitative research like this you must determine that (is it 6 cars? 8? 10?) and what is margin of error.
This doesn’t have any resemblance of seriousness.

View attachment 126715
The range is quite fascinating. The spread on BMW (80-53) is much narrower than Toyota (96-39). But, then you look at KIA, 84-5!!!! Which is markedly worse than Jeep at 53-21. However VW is 49-1...

RAM is insanely narrow, 43-42, as is Buick at 55-52.

As somebody else noted, 2 models for Mercedes? That doesn't seem like a large enough sample size to even include them on the chart. Jeep has 8 models, but they included 5.

Ultimately, it would be far more useful to see a breakdown by model, and more useful still to see what the issues were that resulted in the scores.

Last edited:
This report isn't statistics, It just the views or whims of a few owners. Statistics are things like warranty or insurance claims, something that can be counted. While it's no surprise to see Toyota/Lexus at the top, I wouldn't read too much into the table lower down.

This report isn't statistics, It just the views or whims of a few owners. Statistics are things like warranty or insurance claims, something that can be counted. While it's no surprise to see Toyota/Lexus at the top, I wouldn't read too much into the table lower down.
My observation of Toyota owners is that they think that whatever happens to their vehicles is normal.
Based on my experience with Toyota, it should not be in the middle, let alone top.

Only thing this survey shows is that lots of readers of CR, drives Toyota.

My question is, what is CR's definition of reliability? Reminds me of "lifetime" fluids. Without a specific definition, terms are meaningless.
Top level statistics, even with sufficient numbers, are highly misleading.
You have to drill down to a relevant scenario. For example, In CA we drive a lotta miles and rust is a non-issue. I hear tell my cousins in Buffalo have a different experience...

There is truth in statistics, but you can also make them say whatever you want. I know this because my career centered around corporate forecasting. You have to drill down to accurately understand the information statistics hold. I had to answer to executive staff. Their questions, when staring you down with those cold steel eyes, can be pretty intimidating and require tons of research. I loved every minute of it, by the way.

CR tends to be fairly accurate for most things. I sometimes question their judgement on cars, appliances and paint.

They’re definitely on the LG, Ninja/Shark, Toyota and Behr bandwagon.

Wife’s 2018 VW Tiguan with 122k remains quite reliable. Dealer could not even find issues today after major service. I do expect bottom to drop out but hoping we make it to 150k - 200k before that happens.

I do wonder how many issues are safety sensor related vs actual mechanical/ reliability issues.

Our 2022 4Runner vs my moms 2015 has so much more extra stuff unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back