Computer speakers require volume to be turned higher over time

I use two small computer speakers. Positioned one on the left and one on the right of my monitor. They plug into 120v outlet and also into the audio jack on the pc. The speakers are fairly old but i really like them. They are probably 18 years old. When i first owned the speakers you could turn the volume knob 1/4 on and the speaker would be at a good volume. Over time you had to turn them a little past 25% to reach the same volume but you never noticed the minute adjustment difference. Recently I noticed i now have to turn it to 50% to achieve the same volume and now after a few months i now have to turn it to 60% to achieve the same volume. I dont have to turn the volume up periodically while im using it just over the years its required more. What would cause this and is there a possible fix like maybe old capacitors or something. I tried googling the issue but havent found any similar issues.

If you like them, rebuild them. Otherwise, shop for a new set.

Contact clean the pots, test/replace components like those bulging leaking caps, build your own amp, install replacement drivers. Once you take them apart, you should be able to spot the failure point

Picked up these Klipsch speakers from WM when they were marked down to $69. my old speakers were 12 yrs old and what a difference, great bass and crystal clear lyrics. ;)
I have the same speakers. Had some trouble with the sound chip or jack on my motherboard but a new soundcard solved all my problems.

The speakers are turned to 100% on my laptop and I can barely hear my conference calls. Need to use external speakers or headphones for work calls.

Are you getting sound out of both speakers ? ..........I have a short with one of my speakers . One that controls the volume works fine but I have to monkey around with the volume button to get the other one to work .

I have something similar happen to the speakers in my 1991 Ford F-150. (32 years old). In the cold weather, (40's to low 50's), I have to turn the volume way up when I start the truck. Then, as the heater warms up the car interior they get louder, and I have to lower the volume.

This doesn't happen in the hot Summer months. I can play the radio on a much lower volume setting, and it never changes. This started happening a few years ago.

The battery is kept at 100% charge on a battery tender when the vehicle is not being driven. So low voltage isn't the issue here. It all seems to be totally temperature related.

Back