PC speakers

I only have a $15 set of cheap speakers from Walmart. I'm 68 and hard of hearing. Need more volume. Previous ones were not USB, so they did not fit my new computer, there for, got a cheap set and not happy with them.

Used to listen to music while i cooked, no such thing now. Willing to spend $100-200 for decent set. Probably should have just spliced the wires on my old set to USB connection, but did not know how unhappy I would be with the new set. Suggestions and link?

Appreciate the suggestion. Are those plug and play with USB connections?

You are not going to get good speakers if you are depending on the USB connection for power. A good amplifier is going to require way more power than 5v@500ma.

One digital amp option. There are others with BT, DAC and asynchronous USB connectivity

i have the BX 3 older version M Audio's that are $99 now plug into headphone outlet + a house outlet good band for the $$. i too have reduced hearing + volume is good IMO

Last edited:
Have the Klipsch computer speakers, plug into the headphone jack and you will rock, I'm 70 and still like to listen to music when on the computer, I like a lot of bass and these don't disappoint, you can adjust the subwoofer on one of the speakers. :D

I am not very tech savvy, in my old age. Many of you are talking WAY over my head! I just want speakers to plug in and work., with more volume, like the old ones. Think my power strip is full, so that rules out amplified that require a power source. Wish I would have kept the old ones and just spliced wires for the USB connections. That could not have been hard.

I only have a $15 set of cheap speakers from Walmart. I'm 68 and hard of hearing. Need more volume. Previous ones were not USB, so they did not fit my new computer, there for, got a cheap set and not happy with them.

Used to listen to music while i cooked, no such thing now. Willing to spend $100-200 for decent set. Probably should have just spliced the wires on my old set to USB connection, but did not know how unhappy I would be with the new set. Suggestions and link?
These here are usb powered you wouldn’t need a power outlet

I ended up purchasing a set of Boston Acoustic monitor speakers and powering them with a small amp. Added a subwoofer too. Sounds great!

I am not very tech savvy, in my old age. Many of you are talking WAY over my head! I just want speakers to plug in and work., with more volume, like the old ones. Think my power strip is full, so that rules out amplified that require a power source. Wish I would have kept the old ones and just spliced wires for the USB connections. That could not have been hard.
It doesn't work that way. The USB port is digital, the speakers themselves are analog. Speaker systems that use the USB port exclusively have a digital-to-analog converter built into them, and a very weak amplifier.

Last edited:
Add other power strip. That is not a hurdle!

Splicing a USB cable won't work - and that IS hard

Get some decent speakers iwth a wall transfomer and be done. Plug into Audio out jack. Set computer vol;ume to 50% to prevent input over load.

Or since you have NOT defined you music source - like other have said buy speakers, with a bluetooth receiver and use you phone to transmit the music signal wirelessly.

You can get Bluetooth speakers that are really loud. They require no wiring and will operate some distance away from the computer, such as in an adjacent room.

A component system is overkill here and likely to be over the budget.

Back