Computer Chair

I would not spend 400-500usd+ on a office/desk-chair before an electric adjustable standing desk.
Standing/adjustable desk is better then the best office chair.

Aeron by Herman Miller, if it is in the budget.

I agree 100%. Expensive but if you sit down a lot, there's no other chairs I've tried so far that comes as close to a blend of long-term comfort and quality. No sweaty back, farts go right through the mesh, and like a 15 year warranty.

Standing desk. Sitting is so terrible for you. My body felt terrible sitting/working 40hrs/week in expensive Herman Milller chairs I picked up used. Finally an inexpensive standing desk and body feels great . I wished I found them 10-15 years ago.

Standing desk. Sitting is so terrible for you. My body felt terrible sitting/working 40hrs/week in expensive Herman Milller chairs I picked up used. Finally an inexpensive standing desk and body feels great . I wished I found them 10-15 years ago.
Yeah, we just renovated our office and every desk is now sit/stand.

I bought a Steelcase Leap chair for my office at home and for my office in the Chrysler Building In New York City.

About $2,200.

One of the best investments I ever made for myself.

I've always fantasized over the idea of getting E39 M5 seats turned into chairs. I couldn't get over how comfortable those were.
My messy home desk, but the chair is really comfortable. At work I have a GT-350 barstool with a back on it. I stand most of the time.

IMG_5689.jpg

I spend most of my day in a Steelcase Gesture. It's a bit more comfy than the Steelcase Leap. I switch between them. I can't sit in any other chair for more than 30 minutes.

Go to Staples and sit in all the chairs... do not look at the price until you've found the two most comfortable ones.
Go to any brick & mortar store that sells computer chairs, versus buying them online without sitting in them first.

This is a home or office item that needs to be physically tried out, prior to purchase.

There's a reason why it is free on the side of the road. The best chair I can get is the Herman Miller. The best value? Probably a used Herman Miller.

• What's comfortable to others may not be comfortable to you. Everyone is different. Only way to be sure is to go and try them out.

• An Aeron is a fine chair, but it's designed to be a task chair, used while focused, working in upright posture, feet on the ground, giving support to avoid fatigue during prolonged periods. It's not so great at being a more casual chair, while gaming, kicking back, or not sitting "properly," like those aimed at managers and executives who don't have to slave away like plebes, don't sit still for hours on end in concentration, and can afford to lean back and plop their feet on the desk. The mesh breathes, and gives good support but frankly, does not yield like a cushion, and the chair overall is kinda hard and not comfortable if you think more about it. It makes no compromises, and is not a cushy chair, if that's what you seek. Also keep in mind Aerons come in different sizes, and one mismatched to your body dimensions won't be good either.

• Office-grade chairs, from names like Herman Miller and Steelcase are built to higher standards, and just as importantly, are repairable, with OE or aftermarket parts. If something breaks, or wears out, they don't go straight to the dumpster. That means they're costly to buy, but there is also a healthy used aftermarket for them, at lower cost, from refurbishers, office liquidators, private party sales, and personal connections to places that are just getting rid of stuff, for cheap or even free.

• What's comfortable to others may not be comfortable to you. Everyone is different. Only way to be sure is to go and try them out.

• If you can score a good, quality office chair for cheap, by all means take advantage of it, but shop with your usage patterns and own goals in mind. Specific suggestions should be a starting point, not necessarily the end point.

Last edited:
Back