Computer Chair

Currently I use a free chair I found on the side of the road but it gets uncomfortable within a few hours and I end up grabbing my laptop and sitting on my bed.

What computer/desk/office chairs are y'all using?

I'd like a balance of comfort, longevity, and value.

Thanks!

My wife and I bought used Steelcase chairs. Both were like new when we got them. Very high quality.

You might be able to find a very good used computer chair because the pandemic which has moved more jobs to work at home jobs and caused a surplus of used office furniture, especially where you're at.

My wife and I bought used Steelcase chairs. Both were like new when we got them. Very high quality.

You might be able to find a very good used computer chair because the pandemic which has moved more jobs to work at home jobs and caused a surplus of used office furniture, especially where you're at.
I'll check out FB marketplace for sure, but IDK what to look for. No idea what brands are good. If I google/bing that it's just a bunch of articles pushing their own brand.

My son works at home. This is what I bought him. It was about $1,000

Value? He spends 40+ hours/week in it. If it last a couple of years, it’s pennies per hour to be comfortable.

That seems like a good value.
If it saves your back it is beyond priceless.
I got one for wifey for about $700 from a company that services local offices; they had a couple of extras.
The companies around here buy them by the hundreds; that's how I learned about the Aeron.

Back problems are common for people like me who sometimes slam code for 14+ hours straight. Lawsuits are more expensive than chairs. On-boarding seminars show you how to sit and use the chair properly. It's only your back, right?

I'm using a SitOnIt Amplify task chair at home.

Every once in a while, my company makes used office task chairs available for purchase for $40. This past sale, they had Herman Miller Aeron, Steelcase Leap, and SitOnIt Amplify. I chose the SitOnIt over the other two for home use.

Aeron chairs are pant shredders. If you keep a wallet in your back pocket, the mesh-like ventilated material will wear pants at the edges of the wallet, especially if it's a softer khaki or dress pant. It became a running joke about everybody walking around the office with wear marks on the seat of their pants because of our ultra-lux $1,000+ office chairs. The company eventually bought seat covers from Herman Miller. Even the seat covers eventually wear out though. None of the Aeron chairs for sale had the covers anymore (probably stolen/kept for the chairs still in the office).

Steelcase Leap is the other "primary" task chairs in our office. I prefer them to the Aeron and it's what I sit on when I'm in the office. The ranges of ergo adjustments is far better than the Aeron. It's a really bulky chair though and better suited to a more open office space rather than a smaller home office. Like the Aeron, Leap are $1,000+ at retail.

My company used the SitOnIt chair in conference rooms. They kind of split the design between the Aeron and Leap. The back is a mesh-like material, but the seat is a traditional fabric. Tons of ergo adjustments (not as many as the Leap, but more than the Aeron) and it's svelte enough for a home office. Their size is why they were used in conference rooms, which are a little tighter than the open office.

Great thing about the SitOnIt chairs: You can find them at retail for less than $300. It's a little more than your typical office chair at Staples but it the quality and comfort is so much higher.

That's what I did and ended up buying a Mesh Chair like this . Very comfortable and on Sale for $139 >>>>>>>>

I own this chair also, and am seated in it as I type these words. It was one of the few chairs that I tried in which the armrests adjusted up high enough for me. The hydraulic cylinder used in the height adjustment of the seat failed after a few years, but a piece of 1" ID PVC pipe took care of that.

I like a chair that is flexible/adjustable. The chair I'm using now has arms and I got to where I was leaning on them too much. That caused me to have a sore elbow after a while. Because the chair is fully adjustable I simply swung the arms up and away. Problem solved.

Go to Staples and sit in all the chairs... do not look at the price until you've found the two most comfortable ones.

Yep, I bought a $150 ‘web-mesh style‘ office chair from Staples and it is very comfortable. I didn’t install arm rests.

You have to sit in a few chairs before you purchase one.

Back