comparing oil analysis companies based on time frame to process?

Most recently I sent in two samples to OAI. Using the UPS prepaid, I took the samples into work with me on Monday morning (UPS picks up every afternoon). Tracking reveals they were both delivered Wednesday morning. I got one result back on Thursday evening at 6:30pm and the 2nd result I got Friday morning at 4:10am. It appears from the times I get those results that they work multiple shifts, which helps speed their turnaround time.

The last several samples I sent to Blackstone took at least 4 days to deliver (USPS), a week longer for Blackstone to show it as received in their system, and another ~10 days to get results back from them. Roughly 20 days from mailing the sample to getting results vs 4-5 days for OAI. And when I get the results emailed from Blackstone, it's always between 4:30-5:00pm. As if they email their results out at the end of their work day, regardless of what time during the day the sample was completed. The fact that OAI is sending me results as late as 7pm and as early a 4am tells me they have people working at all hours of the day and they won't hold a sample all day to send it out before they go home at 5pm.

The interesting thing is Blackstone and the OAI lab I send to are both in Indiana, a very similar distance from me.

I've used Blackstone for several years, but will try NAPA/ALS on my next UOA. Turnaround time at Blackstone has gone from a few days to weeks now. Awaiting results for current sample submitted, five weeks so far including mail time (about two weeks.) I called Blackstone and they said business is increasing, they are staffing up, but acknowledged that wait times are longer, summer is the busy season. One of the reasons to do UOA is to catch problems as early as possible. Including the postal delays (another story), the total turnaround time using Blackstone now prompts my search for another lab.

I'll split my next sample and send to both ALS and and Blackstone, that should give me an idea of how the analyses compare in terms of accuracy. I hope all goes well with ALS, as they are also about half the price of Blackstone. Get what you pay for? I'll find out.

I was pretty disappointed, I spent the $45 on a Blackstone test, delivery tracking shows that the sample was delivered 3 weeks ago yesterday, and still no results. If I had known it took so long probably would have sent it elsewhere

I already discussed Blackstone's tracking.

I presume this must be tied to their specific barcodes and not simple addressing.

For example I sent 4 samples Monday 2 to Blackstone 2 to OAI, in 2 envelopes Priority mail the envelopes were delivered today within a few hours of each other. Horizon showed the samples received within an hour of USPS saying it was delivered.

Far too many variables in this proposed "experiment" to conclude anything substantially believable.
Anecdotal at best.

Been using Blackstone Labs since 2018. Prices and lead times have gone way up. I sent a sample to Blackstone Nov 7. USPS tracking shows it was received Nov 18. Just today, Dec 9, it changed to "Unpacked".

Has anyone used or heard of Gearheads Oil Analysis? They are local for me, so I'll probably give them a try

Honestly I don't mind if they take a while, what really grinds my gears is the difference between when it gets delivered and when they actually say they got it

2023_HORIZON_Banner___Technical_Issues_____1.png

I buy the sample kits at my local CAT dealer, includes the sample bottle and the post paid bottle or you can take it back to their shop and they ship it out. Longest I've waited has been 5 business days. Usually if I take it in on a Monday I'll get the emailed results Thursday or Friday
What is the cost of these reports?

Back