Colt to file chapter 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/06/14/breaking-news-colt-to-file-chapter-11-bankruptcy/

I am surprised they held out this long. Everyone is making AR rifles and 1911 handguns which has eroded Colt's market share for them regarding civilian sales. Add to that the losses of highly profitable government contracts to firms like FN and the writing was on the wall.

Sad to see Colt here when it could have been something like S&W. This proves you cannot rest on your laurels in any business. If someone steps in and rescues Colt, they will need to innovate and bring more modern(and affordable) designs to the market.

I read about Colt's financial problems about a month ago.

You can't be stagnant in any type of business or you will be left behind to those who innovative and sell what people want.

Too many players in the global market that manufacture in the low wage countries of the world. Plus the US government offers no protection to gun makers so they slowly disappear and then they just close all imports. Thereby eliminating gun sales in the US.

Colt eroded Colt's civilian AR market share. They were neutering civvy guns years before any laws came to be. Oddball pin sizes. Butchered BCGs.

Anyway. The Colt name will surely live on. It'd be nice if some actual gun folks bought Colt and Marlin.

The real last successful in house innovation at Colt came in the 19th century with the swing out cylinder. They bought the 1911 from Browning and got the AR from Armalite.

If someone gets them going again, they need to make guns the average shooter can afford. I think if they did a good re imagining of the 22 woodsman and a more entry level priced line of center fire handguns that would certainly help. I also think if they brought back their wheelgun line, people would line up to buy them. Might have to make them with cast frames or find some way to lower the cost, but if they made guns at Ruger to S&W prices, they could be a real contender again in the handgun market. Basically Colt needs something like the S&W M&P.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Too many players in the global market that manufacture in the low wage countries of the world. Plus the US government offers no protection to gun makers so they slowly disappear and then they just close all imports. Thereby eliminating gun sales in the US.
Plenty of USA gun companies making money.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Colt eroded Colt's civilian AR market share. They were neutering civvy guns years before any laws came to be. Oddball pin sizes. Butchered BCGs.

Anyway. The Colt name will surely live on. It'd be nice if some actual gun folks bought Colt and Marlin.

Of course Colt was not the only one kowtowing to the anti gunners back then. S&W and especially Ruger did plenty of butt kissing in various ways also. An yet they are prospering now.

Sure. But as you pointed out, Colt doesn't have any new products. Everyone else has new products in spades. If you're only going to make 3 products, that are essentially unchanged for decades, you better not make anyone mad.

Last edited:
Sure. But as you pointed out, Colt doesn't have any new products. Everyone else has new products in spades. If you're only going to make 3 products you better not make anyone mad.

Yeah...way too many options out there and lots of decent imports...sound familiar? So when is Toyota going to start making 1911's
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
The real last successful in house innovation at Colt came in the 19th century with the swing out cylinder. They bought the 1911 from Browning and got the AR from Armalite.

If someone gets them going again, they need to make guns the average shooter can afford. I think if they did a good re imagining of the 22 woodsman and a more entry level priced line of center fire handguns that would certainly help. I also think if they brought back their wheelgun line, people would line up to buy them. Might have to make them with cast frames or find some way to lower the cost, but if they made guns at Ruger to S&W prices, they could be a real contender again in the handgun market. Basically Colt needs something like the S&W M&P.

Actually if they made the .38 Detective Special 6 shot snubbie I would buy one. Of course S&W has the Chief Special now made of scandium and SS under $400....so who knows?

Colt has plenty of designs people want. Unfortunately they're expensive to produce and the market small. I'd also love a Detective Special to match the S&W 642 I bought last week. Colt's D frame is a great size for small six shot .38s. S&W's K frame is too big. I've always wanted an Anaconda in .45 Colt too.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Plenty of USA gun companies making money.

+1. While I like to point blame at chinesium imports as much as anyone, there's just too much good, money making gun industry in the USA.

My brother just bought a colt 1911. It was a lot of money, but I'm pretty sure I paid more for my kimber. At the time I think colts were a lot more $$$. But their ability to be at a price point that caters to the masses is probably valid... Just not necessarily because of dumping from another low wage country. If I were buying a foreign gun it would be a glock or sig, and you can imagine the euro countries have same or higher business costs.

Neutered civvy ARs is a myth. Colt runs one production line that military guns and civilian ARs come off of. They are all made to one standard and is proven so. The idea that Colt made "military" quality and "civilian" quality is entirely not true. All colt AR's are of the same very high-quality standard.

Not sure why my original post disappeared, but Colt is set to file for chapter 11 today.

If you want one, it is a good time to get one. I would think someone will step in and save the brand, but if they don't any new Colt will go up in value over the next several years.

Colt will continue business under Chapter 11. Just like so many of the airlines have. Colt has had horrible management for decades. They couldn't make money if they printed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back