Colt Cobra

Does the Colt Cobra have much of a following? It came back into production in 2017. Historically, it was the gun in a .38 caliber that Jack Ruby used to shoot Lee Harvey Oswald.

C3F6BCEE-2B4C-48FA-AEF1-D7B6558C73B3.jpg

IMO no they don't have much of a following.. I feel like S&W pretty well dominated the snubnose 38 market. That said I'm sure these have some value because they're Colts, and I wouldn't mind owning one if the price was right. Something about a 50+ year old alloy frame would make me hesitant to shoot anything other than standard pressure loads...

I am really glad you posted this. I have some history with the Colt Detective Special, which which the new (2017 on) Cobra sounds to be a stainless steel copy. Not sure about an alloy framed revolver, but I'm a big fan of the steel framed version.
After a lot of trial and error, I settled on a steel framed Colt 1911 Commander in .45 ACP as my primary range and self defense firearm. Did a lot of range work with it. One day my range instructor broke out his Detective Special back up piece and "forced" us to put in some practice with it. I say forced as I had no interest in shooting a puny, short barreled .38 Special.
That little .38 felt like an extention of my hand. With no effort, the bullets went exactly where I willed them. I was astonished at the accuracy and ease of shooting with that little, short sight- axis revolver.
I wanted one, but unfortunately they had somewhat become collectors pieces (as I suspect the original Cobras are). Eighteen years later an acquaintance was trimming down his collection and sold me his. I am very much looking forward to some range time with it.

I think these guns were primarily for detectives looking for something light and small for concealed carry, and who fired them seldom to never.

Back