Colorado getting slammed with snow

Cripple Creek:

IMG_2976.jpeg

This storm won’t affect Colorado river as much. Snow pack is still just average.
Most of the storm is affecting Arkansas river
I'm certainly no expert, but if you draw a straight line from Denver to Colorado Springs, anything west of the line more or less flows to the Colorado and anything East of the line flows to the Arkansas. While there is a chuck of snow occurring east of the line, the deepest snow is west of the line according to the pic in posting #10. You live there. Did I miss something?

Not unusual for the Front Range. Heavy spring storms, then it'll be 65-70*F in a few days and all gone. Just the news trying to make normal weather interesting in an attempt to capture our attention.

I'm not saying it's not real when you're in it -- just that it's not unusual or unprecedented. It snows in Colorado in March. Sometimes quite heavily.

I always thought it was cool the local Jeep clubs will step up to get people to grocery stores, medical appts etc.
It's one of the snowier months.

Here is the Arkansas river drainage basin. The two basins touch each other but Denver and immediately west of Denver drain to the Colorado and the one valley leading from Leadville and through Salida head to the Arkansas. The basin almost touches Santa Fe, does touch Amarillo and includes Oklahoma city. I just learned something here. Interesting. Edit: the snow melt west of Denver will empty into the Missouri. Once you climb the divide it will flow into the Colorado River.

Arakansas river drainage basin.JPG

Last edited:
I'm certainly no expert, but if you draw a straight line from Denver to Colorado Springs, anything west of the line more or less flows to the Colorado and anything East of the line flows to the Arkansas. While there is a chuck of snow occurring east of the line, the deepest snow is west of the line according to the pic in posting #10. You live there. Did I miss something?
Yeah - big difference between that line, and the continental divide.

The continental divide is where a drop of water on the east side flows east, and a drop on the west side flows west to the Colorado River.

It’s quite a few miles from Denver to the divide. And the snow is falling east of the divide.

West of your line, is the entire range of Rockies. The terrain rises from about 5,000 feet in Denver, to over 14,000 in spots, so, no, the water isn’t flowing UP that mountain range.

Yeah - big difference between that line, and the continental divide.

The continental divide is where a drop of water on the east side flows east, and a drop on the west side flows west to the Colorado River.

It’s quite a few miles from Denver to the divide. And the snow is falling east of the divide.

West of your line, is the entire range of Rockies. The terrain rises from about 5,000 feet in Denver, to over 14,000 in spots, so, no, the water isn’t flowing UP that mountain range.

" West of my line is still east of the continental divide. Take a look at
OK, the Colorado river flows on the west side of the continental divide. It appears some of this snow is on the west side. Edit: Colorado Springs below is in the Colorado River drainage basin.

Last edited:
only reason she's there is it where her late husband was from... they met at College in McPherson, KS, all 3 of their kids (Raised in Wiley) went to McPherson, one Son still lives in McPherson( Works for the College), one's a Doctor in Wichita (Kansas paid for his Medical school, like the old tv show "Northern Exposure"), and their Sister moved all the way east to Elgin, Il ( west side of Chicago) working for the Church of the Bretheren.
My Aunt is getting ready to sell, and downsize... To McPherson, KS...

I'm literally the ONLY person in my family who's never been to KS.
That’s funny. I’m actually from Mac

Precipitation in Denver flows into the South Platte, Platte and onward to the Missouri River. Just learned another new thing.

View attachment 208285
The town I live in, Divide, is actually the divide between the Platte and Arkansas river basins. My side of the road goes to the Platte, the other side of the road goes to the Arkansas. In the end, they both go to the same place.

Most of rivers in that region feed Arkansas river. Continental divide is border as @Astro14 pointed, unless water go upstream.
Colorado Springs gets water from Colorado River basin (Breckenridge) by pipeline, 70 miles of it.
Still, for health of Colorado River, you need healthy all year round snow pack. We had extremely dry fall and beginning of winter.

.....and looking at NOAA for 80230 (which is the zip I know for "Denver" as my SIL lives there) it's supposed to be sunny and 56 Monday. Nothing hangs around long at 56*F

Wed & Thu, 62.

Don't like the weather? Wait 5 minutes.

If you live in Divide....well, I can't help you. No one can ;)

Well I think it finally stopped. 36" measured total. I have a lot of work ahead of me! If the plow truck won't start I figure I may be dug out in August!

Back