Collinite - Slow to change / adapt?

Somehow just ran accross this thread. Im starting to like the idea of Collinite, it would be great to know how long it lasts on a vehicle parked outdoors 24/7
I know NuFinish is "king" as far as lasting, but if Collinite lasts maybe 6+ months that would be great, as I like to wax 2 times a year and want a wax that does NOT stain plastic!
Right now, next up I am trying Meguiars Ultimate Synthetic liquid wax, purchased already, yet to be applied and thinking depdnign on feedback maybe getting Collinite too.
Comments on how long it will last on outdoor vehicle???

Ps, I too am sick and tired, Meguires just as guilty, of all the products for the simple job of wanting a reliable long lasting wax that doesnt stain.
and all the Ceramic B.S. words they throw around, just another advertising buzzword to make something sound indestructible.
Im REALLY starting to like the idea of trying Collinite for the above reason.

Somehow just ran accross this thread. Im starting to like the idea of Collinite, it would be great to know how long it lasts on a vehicle parked outdoors 24/7
I know NuFinish is "king" as far as lasting, but if Collinite lasts maybe 6+ months that would be great, as I like to wax 2 times a year and want a wax that does NOT stain plastic!
Right now, next up I am trying Meguiars Ultimate Synthetic liquid wax, purchased already, yet to be applied and thinking depdnign on feedback maybe getting Collinite too.
Comments on how long it will last on outdoor vehicle???

Ps, I too am sick and tired, Meguires just as guilty, of all the products for the simple job of wanting a reliable long lasting wax that doesnt stain.
and all the Ceramic B.S. words they throw around, just another advertising buzzword to make something sound indestructible.
Im REALLY starting to like the idea of trying Collinite for the above reason.
I just tried it for the first time. Initially I'm impressed. I will see how long it lasts. It does bead nice initially, but time will tell.

Wax close to the edge and leave 1/4." Or, tape off the trim.

Yeah, I know, but I know myself too and I just wont have the patience or time to be careful enough, more so on the roof which has the luggage racks.
Also I like the idea of "protecting" the plastic as in an all in one product.

I tape it off with the blue painters tape. Takes me about 5 minutes extra.
IMG_20200810_182620850.jpg

Get yourself those rectangular microfiber applicators. They are easier to work with around trim and such.

Reactions: JC1
I still stick with Collinite 845 as my go to wax/sealant. I too like to wax 2-3 times a year and have no problems with 845 with a PC 7424. Easy on/easy off

I still stick with Collinite 845 as my go to wax/sealant. I too like to wax 2-3 times a year and have no problems with 845 with a PC 7424. Easy on/easy off
Do you remove it with the buffer?? If so what pad do you use?? I apply with a buffer but remove by hand, otherwise I get swirl marks...

Yesterday I applied the Collinite 845 to the passenger doors of the Buick, as a test. After claying, the rear door got Mother's Glaze; both doors got the Collinite. After removing it by hand, I honestly could not tell the difference in gloss or slickness between the doors. Today I plan to do the rest of the car with Collinite only (except the trunk, which could use the glaze prep, I think).

Do you remove it with the buffer?? If so what pad do you use?? I apply with a buffer but remove by hand, otherwise I get swirl marks...
I apply with my 7424 with a red finishing pad and remove with micro fiber bonnets over a Lambswool leveling pad.
-I got both at auto geek years ago in a combo pack

Yesterday I applied the Collinite 845 to the passenger doors of the Buick, as a test. After claying, the rear door got Mother's Glaze; both doors got the Collinite. After removing it by hand, I honestly could not tell the difference in gloss or slickness between the doors. Today I plan to do the rest of the car with Collinite only (except the trunk, which could use the glaze prep, I think).
It’s my understanding (and I could be wrong) that all a glaze does is fill in swirl marks and after a few rain storms or washes it wears away and you will see the swirl marks again
-the 845 is a sealant you use after all your hard work (washing, claying, polishing) to protect it

Last edited:
It’s my understanding (and I could be wrong) that all a glaze does is fill in swirl marks and after a few rain storms or washes it wears away and you will see the swirl marks again
-the 845 is a sealant you use after all your hard work (washing, clawing, polishing) to protect it
Right, that was what I was trying for with the glaze, to fill in swirl marks. I always applied whatever wax I was using atop it. Maybe that removed the glaze and that step went for nothing?

The Meguiar's Yellow Wax has been working well to protect the finish, and then each week I usually rinse and use Meg's Wax-As-U-Dry for a bit of coat until the next week. I suppose with the Collinite on the car, I'll continue with the WAUD when I rinse -- or maybe every other time.

I have not used that Megs product, I do use a lot of there other products. I will use their quick wax at times after a wash, or I will use Duragloss Aquawax and spray that on as I’m drying it off

Right, that was what I was trying for with the glaze, to fill in swirl marks. I always applied whatever wax I was using atop it. Maybe that removed the glaze and that step went for nothing?

The Meguiar's Yellow Wax has been working well to protect the finish, and then each week I usually rinse and use Meg's Wax-As-U-Dry for a bit of coat until the next week. I suppose with the Collinite on the car, I'll continue with the WAUD when I rinse -- or maybe every other time.

Glaze was a good product back in the day before clearcoat. Today’s glazes are mainly polishes and not really the same thing they used to be. There are exceptions of course. Someone who collects old cars with no clearcoat will want a glaze to help achieve a brilliant and deep luster to the paint.

Glaze was a good product back in the day before clearcoat. Today’s glazes are mainly polishes and not really the same thing they used to be. There are exceptions of course. Someone who collects old cars with no clearcoat will want a glaze to help achieve a brilliant and deep luster to the paint.
Well, my '16 Buick is hardly an old or non-clearcoated car, so I suppose I've wasted my energy on it and the earlier cars. Doesn't matter; I enjoy caring for them.

I washed, dried, clayed, and waxed the big red beast with the Collinite this morning. It went on easily and came off without trouble. Car looks like a showroom model right now!

When I bought the car in August of '19, the salesman said they would gas it up for me and wash it. Trained by BITOGers, I asked, "Wash it where?" "The automatic car wash up the highway." "No, thanks. I'll take the gas; skip the wash."

He looked startled, as if he'd never had a car buyer, Buick or not, turn down a free car wash.

Update after a week,

The Collinite is still making the car look new. We've had dreary heat and moisture all week, but no real rain. Then, with the fringes of Hurricane Delta, it rained quite a bit last night. I had taken the precaution of parking the car away from the trees in front of my place. The effect was a quick rinse, and this morning the water on the car was beaded up beautifully.

When I drove out to my barber, I stopped off in a shady lot to wipe the car down with a clean towel and detail spray. The beast emerged looking just washed. Still does this afternoon.

Back