Collinite #845

I use 845 as my go-to product each fall for my last detailing. Over several years of (non-scientific) testing, this stuff outlasts everything else I've tried during the worst times of the year.

There has been mention of Collinite's cost.

The up front costs does seem to be high. However - If properly applied using a sponge pad, you need to apply a thin film of wax. A bottle will easily last for years.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
I know that much has been said about Collinite #845 Insolator wax but I just wanted to mention that every year I either buy into some other new wax, car polish or sealant from either some advertising or someone recommending something new to me. This year I decided I'm not going to buy any new product and went to my car finish product shelf full of half used stuff and decided I would try my 5 year old bottle of Collinite #845. All I can say is I really did not need to try anything new every year the "845" really works great and I think I'm just going to stick with it from now on it goes on easy comes off easy shines good enough and last longer then most other stuff I have tried.
*Can Collinite be used on trim without staining ? Also does it leave behind any white powder residue ?

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
Originally Posted By: Camprunner
I know that much has been said about Collinite #845 Insolator wax but I just wanted to mention that every year I either buy into some other new wax, car polish or sealant from either some advertising or someone recommending something new to me. This year I decided I'm not going to buy any new product and went to my car finish product shelf full of half used stuff and decided I would try my 5 year old bottle of Collinite #845. All I can say is I really did not need to try anything new every year the "845" really works great and I think I'm just going to stick with it from now on it goes on easy comes off easy shines good enough and last longer then most other stuff I have tried.
*Can Collinite be used on trim without staining ? Also does it leave behind any white powder residue ?

Yes and no...

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: Broo
I tried many other sealant and waxes over the years. No matter how great and technologically advanced they appear to be, I'm always back to 845. I've seen some sealants giving and awesome appearance at first, only to slowly wither and quit. 845 doesn't give the greatest look, but it's still great and outlasts anything in its price range and even many more expensive ones.

Last year, I decided I'm done wasting money testing waxes and sealants. 845 works. I threw the rest away.

I'm not quite sure where this "845 doesn't give the greatest look" thing is coming from. It's every bit as glossy as any wax or sealant. If you're not getting the glossiness from 845 that you think you should be getting, it isn't because of the 845. It's because the surface underneath isn't as smooth as it should be...

My black car's greatest looks was after using Meguiar's Ultimate Wax. However, that so cool look quickly faded, though wax still seemed to be there. 845 is a bit less glossy after applying,(still looks great though) but stays the same throughout its lifespan. Prep is always the same : wash, clay, polish (very little to correct, so I use OTC Meguiar's Ultimate Polish), then wax.

Last edited:
Broo, one option to refresh the gloss on your car is to use a spray wax during drying. You can kill two birds with one stone that way. Another is to use a quick detailer spray like Sonax Brilliant Shine or Chemical Guys V7. Griots also has some nice products for these purposes.

I tried many other sealant and waxes over the years. No matter how great and technologically advanced they appear to be, I'm always back to 845. I've seen some sealants giving and awesome appearance at first, only to slowly wither and quit. 845 doesn't give the greatest look, but it's still great and outlasts anything in its price range and even many more expensive ones.

Last year, I decided I'm done wasting money testing waxes and sealants. 845 works. I threw the rest away.

I'm not quite sure where this "845 doesn't give the greatest look" thing is coming from. It's every bit as glossy as any wax or sealant. If you're not getting the glossiness from 845 that you think you should be getting, it isn't because of the 845. It's because the surface underneath isn't as smooth as it should be...

My black car's greatest looks was after using Meguiar's Ultimate Wax. However, that so cool look quickly faded, though wax still seemed to be there. 845 is a bit less glossy after applying,(still looks great though) but stays the same throughout its lifespan. Prep is always the same : wash, clay, polish (very little to correct, so I use OTC Meguiar's Ultimate Polish), then wax.

Just for a suggestion, the Megs Ult Polish is a bit too aggressive to use every time you wax. I'd recommend going to Megs 205 or their M03 for a regular polish. This is of course assuming you're using a DA polisher...

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Broo, one option to refresh the gloss on your car is to use a spray wax during drying. You can kill two birds with one stone that way. Another is to use a quick detailer spray like Sonax Brilliant Shine or Chemical Guys V7. Griots also has some nice products for these purposes.

I agree, Megs has some awesome quick detailers...

Just for a suggestion, the Megs Ult Polish is a bit too aggressive to use every time you wax. I'd recommend going to Megs 205 or their M03 for a regular polish. This is of course assuming you're using a DA polisher...

Meguiar's Ultimate Polish is a less agressive version of M205...

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

Meguiar's Ultimate Polish is a less agressive version of M205...

Yep, you're right...I was thinking Ultimate Compound, my bad...but the M03 is even less aggressive than the UP...

Thanks for informing me of Collinite. If when I run out of my current waxes and the mfr doesnt make them anymore- I will probably get Collinite- but not the 845 you speak of. The website had two really nice ones that appeal to me. One is 476s I think I saw on a youtube video and the other is a polish I think is new #390.

Collinate #476 , #390 , #845 ? ... Which ever one doesn't stain trim and leaves no white dust !

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
Collinate #476 , #390 , #845 ? ... Which ever one doesn't stain trim and leaves no white dust !

I can't speak of the others, and I have never heard of 390, but I know the 845 won't stain black plastic trim nor will it leave white dust.

Originally Posted By: cbenjes
2 thin coats of PowerLock under 2 thin coats of Collinite followed by Adams Glaze for amazing pop. Wow!

The glaze should go on before any wax or sealant.

Originally Posted By: cbenjes
2 thin coats of PowerLock under 2 thin coats of Collinite followed by Adams Glaze for amazing pop. Wow!

Sounds like a lot of unnecessary work...

I just clayed and put a coat of 845 on the RAV yesterday, all smooth and shiny and happy now. It really is nice stuff.
Reviving this thread:

I recently bought some Collinite 845 after reading all the rave reviews here. This afternoon I ran a test, and I think it will save me a detailing step.

With my older cars, I've been claying the paint, then applying some Mother's California Glaze and working it in before adding the wax -- usually Meguiar's regular wax in the red bottle, and recently the yellow wax. My current car, the Buick LaCrosse, is only about 5 years old and has been cared for, so I'm not sure I need the glaze step.

This afternoon with decent weather, I rinsed off the passenger doors; clayed them both; then rinsed and dried them again. On the rear door I applied the glaze and polished it off. Finally I applied the Collinite 845 to both doors, let it dry, and polished that off.

To my eye, there appears no difference in gloss between the doors. If I can get the protection I need in my semi-annual hand waxing with Collinite, and get the deep gloss I want with one product rather than two, Collinite it is.

I too have settled on Collinite 845 as my only wax I use. I have Wolfgang sealant, Collinite 476, 845, 3M performance polish, Wolfgang Fuzion, Meguiars M16 (old blue can) but ultimately settled on 845. Easy to apply, easy to take off (I use older PC 7424). Works for me

I was reading some comments on the Auto Geek forum about this wax. They said it's clumpy but if you warm it up it gets better.
I might have to buy a bottle of it. Any tips on how to apply it?

It does seem to clump up some when it’s cold, I’ve read and seen videos where you put the bottle in warm water to let it soften up some then shake it like crazy and I have done that at times. it looks almost like milk when ready to use.
-most of the time just shaking it for a bit will get it to the consistency it needs to be
-I put a little on a red finishing pad and apply with my 7424 on speed 3. Usually use about two ounces to do the whole car.
-a bottle should last you years, it doesn’t take much

Back