Coleslaw: homemade or bought at store/market?

Good Morning BITOGERS. I prefer grandma on moms side recipe. Store bought/restaurant is so hot or miss. Maybe my tastes are changing. Which do you prefer?

Usually at restaurants I’ve found it not to be any good of course there are a few exceptions but most I don’t care for it at. We buy the Dole Coleslaw Mix at the store and either Marie’s, Marzettis or Dukes Coleslaw Dressing. Nobody in my family has a recipe for coleslaw so I think we all just eat the store stuff.

Don't care for store bought, so always have made my own. I also buy the Dole coleslaw mix and add Dukes Mayo, Jalapeno Ranch, apple cider vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste. Always make it the day before and let it sit in the fridge overnight.

Nothing like homemade coleslaw. Publix sells a reasonable substitute, but you just need that crispy shredded cabbage to make it right.

I'm very picky about potato salad. My wife makes it great after a few iterations. She likes vinegar and I hate it so we've compromised on no vinegar and a lot of paprika. And no egg or celery.

I like cole slaw on the sweet side with no vinegar. At least none that I can taste. The local diner makes a great cole slaw. We've made it at home with the coleslaw mix and Marie's dressing but it's missing something that the diner puts in theirs.

Some restaurants make fancy coleslaw some creamy some sweet and sour in house, good.

The problem with Cisco food service coleslaw (that every restaurant and grocery sells ) is that it can easily taste like feet and it’s hard to doctor up.

Odd part is KFCs and Popeyes coleslaw is usually decent which is rare for mass produced.

my wife makes some excellent coleslaw so it's homemade for me. Next in line would be KFC haven't had KFC coleslaw for at least 2-3 years so it could have changed.

I have a couple of recipes I like. One is standard and one is Thai style with sweet chili sauce, lime juice , soy sauce,and rice wine vinegar and a few other goodies. Lots of recipes out there on the web of course.

Back