Coffee -- Your current Brew(er) and grinder

Bunnzilla time šŸ˜€ or is it a grindmaster?

For me the blooming phase is different than stiring. Blooming in my experience has been when really fresh grinds off gas and expand when first hit by water. Letting it bloom gives the grinds a chance to settle down before you add more water, thereby avoiding a huge mess. šŸ˜ so in a way I agree I guess.

Stirring just makes sure you get all the grounds wet, if that's already happening then you'll notice little change.
One of you guys mentioned the shower head on the Moccamaster as a weak point. I thought the same for awhile but it actually seems that's not the case. I have observed it routinely for quite awhile and I've never brewed a pot where the grounds were not completely soaked. Could the design be improved? Perhaps. Others seem to think so.
20210718_222021717_iOS_1512x.jpg

Good thread, @BeerCan!

Im very interested in all things coffee, and, especially, brewing and grinding implements.

Im happy with my everyday brewer that weā€™ve used for years now (regular BUNN Velocity Brew).

And the wife got me a new pour-over for Christmas (standard Chemex 40oz, which I love).

However, I think our coffee could be improved significantly with a better grinder that would produce a more consistent grind, and also fewer ā€œfinesā€ (the powdery chaff that contributes to bitterness and harshness).

For almost as long as Iā€™ve had the BUNN, Iā€™ve also used a $40 Mr. Coffee burr grinder, which is acceptable, but I think i could do a lot better. Iā€™d be willing to relegate it to my backup if I could find one that would do a lot better job with the consistency of grind and produce fewer fines.

In fact, when we go on trips, we take a Krups compact electric blade grinder along with an OXO electric pour over kettle (awesome product BTW) and the Chemex. And Ive noticed that the blade grinder, despite having a rep for not making as consistent of a grind as a burr grinder, actually does make fewer fine particles than the cheaper Mr. Coffee burr grinder I normally use. And that results in pour-over coffee that is less harsh.

Mine is pretty simple. Hario Skerton hand grinder. Works well. Morning grind takes less than a minute. Iā€™ve been buying dark Turkish blend from Afficionado Roasters right here in Morganville, N.J. Itā€™s a dark, slightly oily whole bean thatā€™s easy to grind and tastes great.

Attachments

• 0010AF82-3267-46B0-A569-AE15088A20AE.jpeg
    0010AF82-3267-46B0-A569-AE15088A20AE.jpeg
    110.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Good thread, @BeerCan!

Im very interested in all things coffee, and, especially, brewing and grinding implements.

Im happy with my everyday brewer that weā€™ve used for years now (regular BUNN Velocity Brew).

And the wife got me a new pour-over for Christmas (standard Chemex 40oz, which I love).

However, I think our coffee could be improved significantly with a better grinder that would produce a more consistent grind, and also fewer ā€œfinesā€ (the powdery chaff that contributes to bitterness and harshness).

For almost as long as Iā€™ve had the BUNN, Iā€™ve also used a $40 Mr. Coffee burr grinder, which is acceptable, but I think i could do a lot better. Iā€™d be willing to relegate it to my backup if I could find one that would do a lot better job with the consistency of grind and produce fewer fines.

In fact, when we go on trips, we take a Krups compact electric blade grinder along with an OXO electric pour over kettle (awesome product BTW) and the Chemex. And Ive noticed that the blade grinder, despite having a rep for not making as consistent of a grind as a burr grinder, actually does make fewer fine particles than the cheaper Mr. Coffee burr grinder I normally use. And that results in pour-over coffee that is less harsh.
Take a look at the Baratza Encore...extremely consistent grind. Perfect for drip/pour over. Yes a bit noisy and not the fastest but I believe that's by design so as to not heat/overheat the beans during grinding.

Take a look at the Baratza Encore...extremely consistent grind. Perfect for drip/pour over. Yes a bit noisy and not the fastest but I believe that's by design so as to not heat/overheat the beans during grinding.
Thanks - I will. I have heard of that model. Will look at it again.

Good thread, @BeerCan!

First I love Chemex, one of my favorite ways to brew. Chemex and French Press are us in the top 3 for me.

Going down the grinder road can be a long journey :) For me it is the most important piece of gear in the coffee process. If you are not carful it can get real expensive real fast :).

Anyway, lately I have become a big fan of the big flat burrs for filter coffee. There are a lot of really good hand grinders out there if you are just grinding a cup or two. The only hand grinder I have is the Orphan Espresso Pharos with a 68mm conical burr. I rarely use it because I am lazy :)

Barazta is the go to if you want a good quality grinder without spending to much. The encore, virtuoso are conical and the vario and forte are flat. If you get the vario/forte for filter coffee make sure you get the steel burrs and not the ceramic. Ceramic is more for espresso.

Mine is pretty simple. Hario Skerton hand grinder. Works well. Morning grind takes less than a minute. Iā€™ve been buying dark Turkish blend from Afficionado Roasters right here in Morganville, N.J. Itā€™s a dark, slightly oily whole bean thatā€™s easy to grind and tastes great.
Tried and true. I never had one but always read good things about the Skerton.

In my mind Baratza is the go to for the entry into higher end grinding. for the under 1k crowd that needs an electric grinder you can't go wrong. Hopefully they stay the same after the Breville purchase. If not there are a lot of new contenders in the under 1k space coming on the scene, ode, timemore etc

Is that a plastic/poly ground coffee hopper?

One of the things I donā€™t like about the grinder Iā€™m using is the poly ground coffee hopper, because the static electricity it retains causes it to hold on to grounds, especially the fine chaff I donā€™t want.

One of the features that some grinders have that sounds like a good idea is a stainless hopper for the grounds, to prevent this problem.

One of the things I donā€™t like about the grinder Iā€™m using is the poly ground coffee hopper, because the static electricity it retains causes it to hold on to grounds, especially the fine chaff I donā€™t want.

One of the features that some grinders have that sounds like a good idea is a stainless hopper for the grounds, to prevent this problem.
You can use the RDT method if you are having static problems. I find just the tinniest amount of water works.
I also found that if I grind into a metal dosing cup and "ground" it to the grinders chassis it helps. Stir grinds with a spoon before I put them in the filter and I have almost zero static issues.
https://www.wholelattelove.com/blog...g-the-rdt-technique-on-baratza-sette-grinders

I've had the grinds come out of the grinder and go sideways or up from static. It can become a horror show real quick and make a huge mess.

You can use the RDT method if you are having static problems. I find just the tinniest amount of water works.
I also found that if I grind into a metal dosing cup and "ground" it to the grinders chassis it helps. Stir grinds with a spoon before I put them in the filter and I have almost zero static issues.
https://www.wholelattelove.com/blog...g-the-rdt-technique-on-baratza-sette-grinders

I've had the grinds come out of the grinder and go sideways or up from static. It can become a horror show real quick and make a huge mess.
Yep. Especially with light roasts that are relatively recently roasted.

Bunnzilla time šŸ˜€ or is it a grindmaster?

For me the blooming phase is different than stiring. Blooming in my experience has been when really fresh grinds off gas and expand when first hit by water. Letting it bloom gives the grinds a chance to settle down before you add more water, thereby avoiding a huge mess. šŸ˜ so in a way I agree I guess.

Stirring just makes sure you get all the grounds wet, if that's already happening then you'll notice little change.
My Moccamaster has the manual drip stop. I leave it off at first to create the bloom, stir then open the stop. After a few minutes I stir again. I do think this makes the coffee a little better. I am retired so I have time to interact with the brewing process. With the Clever Coffee Dripper I let the brew steep for a minute then stir. After four minutes I place it on my mug to drip in. Works for me!

The Baratza uses a plastic grounds bin but it's a plastic formulated to minimize static electricity. I've used stainless containers for grounds on those other grinders I've had. I read about a trick to reduce static that is 98% effective every time: Stir the beans in the hopper with a freshly wetted spoon just before you grind. Works perfectly.

I have the OXO burr grinder which grounds the ground container through the power plug. The static is considerably reduced after a little bit of sitting after grinding.

Was doing aeropress for a while but recently moved to pour over and am now using coffee scales to measure grounds and water as well as time.

Back