Coated Intake Valves

A few years ago, I read about auto radiators being coated with a catalytic material so that as air was pulled through the radiator after it had warmed up, organic materials in the air would be converted over to CO2 and H2O. This got me to thinking about intake valve deposits on the intake valves of GDI vehicles. Would it be possible to coat the intake valves with a similar catalytic material so that when the engine reached operating temps, the valves would be warm enough to destroy the deposits that form on the valve faces and stems? Obviously, if a radiator temperature of say 220 F works,the intake valves have to get at least that warm in an operating engine.

Thoughts??

I think it'd be disaster in a gas engine. It'd cause preignition issues and instead of cleaning the intake valves, you'd be paying $3K to have new valve stem seals installed.

If we have that wunder catalytic material... I can't find anything on google talking about breaking motor oil down using catalytic.

It's a cool thought.

I'm not sure a catalytic reaction is required, but a coating that would shed oil/fuel/combustion related components trying to stick to it sure would be helpful.

Or just come kind of non stick coating,, but that would cost extra.

Catalytic radiators never did take off.... I remember the R&D and articles. Was hoping it would work, especially for big city toll traffic or tourist beach traffic.

Only coatings for valves are those ceramic insulating coatings... wonder if the deposits would stick better/worse than a normal valve, or polished valve.

Mazda claimed reduced deposits with 'hotter' intake valves... not sure which engines or whether valve life is sacrificed. How does Mazda raise the intake valve temps... less cooling around that area????

Smart automakers simply use GDI + MPFI. Don't see why a simpler single TBI couldn't work either, or any of the water/meth injection systems

Since new vehicles have no issue lasting the warranty interval, I just don't see the automakers doing anything major to prevent the IV deposit conundrum. They just don't care and you can pay for the cleaning far into the future after the warranty expires. Let the class action lawyers battle for the out-of-warranty crowd.

Back