Clothes Washer Drain Pump Filter

If you have a little square door at the bottom front of your front loading washing machine, chances are there is a drain pump filter there. The filter keeps junk from entering the drain and potentially plugging things.These photos are from a LG washer. There is a low tech rubber hose with a stopper you pull out, remove the stopper and drain the fluid surrounding the filter. Then you unscrew the round front of the filter assembly to the left and pull straight out. My filter was full off mung. I cleaned it out and after wiping out the inside of the filter cavity I screwed it back in. Make sure it s screwed all the way in and I recommended to watch it go into the first cycle to confirm it its not leaking. If it does turn it more to the right.

DFCD7E1C-B8D4-4FD9-8E80-18487F936265.jpeg
C167DE72-37D4-47F2-BA24-A48CC395FD91.jpeg
87D6CC86-F36F-4139-BF84-E40DAAA089A6.jpeg
DF7FF28E-0FBA-4125-90C9-F138894AEB24.jpeg
23BCEDB6-3FED-4316-828D-54F0C4B3315A.jpeg
D597F5B1-C283-47A9-9F07-103906DD9935.png

Last edited:
Yup, I hate that thing.

It's just a PITA.

With all of the intricacies of a front load washer, there is a very high probability that I won't own one again.
Had one, and got rid of it. Best change I ever made going back to a conventional top loader. I know front load washers are more popular in EMEA and other places around the globe, but for my household it did not work well enough for our laundry requirements.

I've done that on mine many times, never found much in it.
I always manage to spill a little water on the floor though! :mad:

On those LG's it's more important to clean out the door seal drains. They can accumulate a bunch of junk!

front loaders are esp. susceptible to clogging from rampant fabric softener use.

My washer goes straight to a 3 or 4" floor drain If turds and TP dont clog it up down there I doubt anything being pumped out of the washing machine will.

first load in my GE toploader + noticed more lint than my departed whirlpool front loader!! the filter on my whirlpool is under the lower panel. i forgot how much MORE water a toploader uses, BUT did not want to put out over a thou for a frontloader which i liked very much until it needed a $500 control unit, 16 years BUT only ONE load weekly with a rare xtra one

first load in my GE toploader + noticed more lint than my departed whirlpool front loader!! the filter on my whirlpool is under the lower panel. i forgot how much MORE water a toploader uses, BUT did not want to put out over a thou for a frontloader which i liked very much until it needed a $500 control unit, 16 years BUT only ONE load weekly with a rare xtra one
Where do you shop? Costco has LG 3400 series for $599 and a few other options.

i buy most appliances from a somewhat local family business thar services as well, well worth a few more $$$. a few years ago i ordered a frig from home D BUT got tired of using portable coolers BUT my local Flick Bros delivered the NEXT day as promised!!

I have an old General Motors Frigidaire Gallery unit. I am unaware of any filters other than screens on the H + C water inlets. and strainer in the door overflow gasket.

I dunno which washer it was. Probably the last top loader. It wouldn't discharge,. Found a 'how to' on line and cleaned out the pump filter. It was clogged with about 5$ worth of very slimy change. 1st model front loader broke the cast aluminum spider that held the drum. Simply not up to the task. Space is an issue so the current FL is a Whirlpool. direct drive of the exact dimension. Gotta keep th door seal clear of debris and a heavily bleached white load every so often. So far so good. I'm not really excited about tales about LG stuff, :cool:

Back