Clear masking tape...

Status
Not open for further replies.
DO they sell CLEAR ones in AAP/AZ? search on their WBs didn't find it...

I need to get some to put on the SV mirrors and bumper/nose/hood of the car when we drive to Knoxville TN in a week or 2 (6-7 hr drive) to cover it from bugs
Car will be washed and detailed prior to the drive and I want to keep it that way for a bit

...i am TIRED of millions of bugs sticking to the bumper and the side mirrors and hood and it takes forever to get them off, and hate the process...so this time i thought after I get the CURRENT bug [censored] off, perhaps I can keep it that way for a while...

Any tips on getting some clear masking tape online or BM store will be great...

I often see 3M blue painter's tape used for this purpose. Easy on, easy off, protects like a bright blue opaque 'clear' bra.

Put a thin coat of IW845 (or any sealant/wax) on the front/mirrors etc. prior to driving. Removal will be much easier.

I have never done it but I have heard of people spraying non stick cooking oil like Pam on the grill and mirrors during the heavy bug season.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
I have never done it but I have heard of people spraying non stick cooking oil like Pam on the grill and mirrors during the heavy bug season.

X2.

DuPont or Krylon or somebody used to make a clear spray coating that you applied to the front of the car/mirrors before a trip and then allegedly made removal at the end of the trip easier.

I got some (at WM) for my uncle a few years ago, and whoever detailed his car after the trip complained bitterly about getting the stuff off.

Made me wonder if he applied it too thick.

Last edited:
I might have found it: it's called Clean-release surface protecting tape:
from this thread, involving almost exactly my type of car!:
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=411584

halfbugs.jpg

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
But I need something easy put on / take off dry.

3M blue painter's tape goes on dry and leave little to no residue unless you leave it on for weeks in direct sunlight.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
Put a thin coat of IW845 (or any sealant/wax) on the front/mirrors etc. prior to driving. Removal will be much easier.

I was thinking exactly the same. bugs just fall off with this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back