Cleaning an old field.....

UncleDave

$100 Site Donor 2024
I did some leveling during the irrigation project and found, and am still finding an extraordinary amount of crap.

Im not even sure what the quasi cross spike thing even is??? Its iron though..

I've been told that my piece of property was the first house in my area and that poeple have lived on this bit of land for a long time.

I've got a rock with a grinding pit/ mortar hole in my backyard.

IMG_4716.jpeg
IMG_4715.jpeg

Last edited:
It’s a sickle guard for most any implement that uses a back-and-forth sickle on most farm equipment that cuts plants.
ahhhhhh now I see it.......

I used a sickle bar mower many times growing up on my grandparents farm.

Thanks.

Last edited:
We have a little stream next to our house. My wife decided to muck it out. A number of old flower pots and a pair of lawnmower blades were found.

Could be you have unearthed definitive proof that the Aztecs migrated into California. I'd find an archaeologist before you disturb it. ;)
There is a show where people look up stuff they've found in various places and its mostly old junk but everyone thinks that they have mayan treasure. Its hilarious and occasionally they get something valuable.

Apparently this house sits where a brother/ bar/ hotel was in the late 1800's after the Placer/ Nevada city/ Sutters mill finds that was torn down and house built on that burned down from an electrical overload growing weed and this is the third home iteration on the property.

We have a little stream next to our house. My wife decided to muck it out. A number of old flower pots and a pair of lawnmower blades were found.
People are awful.

People are awful.
Yep. Thankfully they refrained from doing questionable stuff on my house. Oh we had to take out some wallpaper, and found some of what they were hiding, but minor sheetrock damage is trivial.

There is gold in the gully behind my house. A days worth of shoveling will get you a enough to buy a hot dog at 7-11. When I was a kid the old timers said they got quite a bit of gold out of there. I'm thinking they got most of it cause I'm not getting rich off it.

There is 2 feeder streams that connect to the gully and we have found the most gold in the lower one. Here is a pic of it.

Attachments

• IMG_20230826_170000299~2.jpg
    IMG_20230826_170000299~2.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 46
There is gold in the gully behind my house. A days worth of shoveling will get you a enough to buy a hot dog at 7-11. When I was a kid the old timers said they got quite a bit of gold out of there. I'm thinking they got most of it cause I'm not getting rich off it.

There is 2 feeder streams that connect to the gully and we have found the most gold in the lower one. Here is a pic of it.

Yeah most easy to get to places are picked over pretty well. Sounds like something you set up city kids to do when they are bored.

Do you have water rights to any of the flow?

Having irrigation water access made the diff between a little paradise and burned out cinder at my place.

In a way in Cali, water is the new gold.

Very similar to finger guides on my Farmall No. 24 mower.

One day I swear I'll own that tiny little Farmall.
Saw one at a show with a lineup of implements, prob nowhere as good as the little kubota or deere, but it sure was "cute".

This is funny. Not quite the same thing though.

We’ve had our house for almost 5 years and I just now got around to burying a nasty burn pile that was in our backyard. Found a lot of scrap metal, nails, mattress/ furniture components, chain, wire, concrete, light switches.. all stuff that’ll burn you know. A dumpster would have been $700 a ton to haul the dirt out.

This stuff is about a foot down in an area that won’t be in our way. I put dirt back on top of it and now we wait to let it settle.
48EA3294-3409-4DDC-8D2D-AB065D2AFF86.jpeg
35951F6E-869A-478A-A989-5E7FDAFA7418.jpeg

About the only thing I haven't dug up so far is Jimmy Hoffa.

I cant imagine what has been happening here for the last 100 years for it to end up like this.

I took an archelogy class one summer to fill out my credits. We went digging in the sand hills around the Kankakee River. Found some charcoal and salted arrowheads.....

On my property that is somewhat virgin I'm happy to find a native rock.

I took an archelogy class one summer to fill out my credits. We went digging in the sand hills around the Kankakee River. Found some charcoal and salted arrowheads.....

On my property that is somewhat virgin I'm happy to find a native rock.

I'm familiar with the Kankakee, it's the closet major river to where my grandparents lived.
Lots of native tribes in Northern Il/ Indiana.

What's a salted arrowhead?

Here the grinding rock in my backyard. There are a few in the large granite (?) boulders strewn about the area in my property.
The Cali natives used these to grind down acorns and other hard material.

It sounds kind of weird, but I can almost feel the history at certain times.

IMG_4728.jpeg
IMG_4729.jpeg

This is funny. Not quite the same thing though.

We’ve had our house for almost 5 years and I just now got around to burying a nasty burn pile that was in our backyard. Found a lot of scrap metal, nails, mattress/ furniture components, chain, wire, concrete, light switches.. all stuff that’ll burn you know. A dumpster would have been $700 a ton to haul the dirt out.

This stuff is about a foot down in an area that won’t be in our way. I put dirt back on top of it and now we wait to let it settle. View attachment 175462View attachment 175461
Looks like the Sup barking orders to you. :D

Back