Chrysler V6 dry starts

My 2019 Cherokee with a Chrysler 3.2 has some annoying dry starts. I assume that’s due to the cartridge filter set up with no anti-drain back. Is there a cartridge filter that has ADB or does a better job holding oil in the filter housing?

Out of curiosity, what are the symptoms? How long does it take for the oil pressure light to turn off?

I agree with @Jimmy_Russells the wife's T&C with a Pentastar does sound bad on start up... But, FWIW, it would seem that the engine has been designed for this. There are a whole bunch of these engines on the road and I'm sure Chrysler has done significant testing.

Just my $0.02

I agree with @Jimmy_Russells the wife's T&C with a Pentastar does sound bad on start up... But, FWIW, it would seem that the engine has been designed for this. There are a whole bunch of these engines on the road and I'm sure Chrysler has done significant testing.
Designed to sound bad on start up?

Reminds me of “it’s not a bug, it’s a feature.”

Designed to sound bad on start up?

Reminds me of “it’s not a bug, it’s a feature.”
Sound is relative, can you quantify bad? In the manufacturing world things are designed for a given life at a certain cost. So yes, designed for it.

Just my $0.02

My 2015 Grand Cherokee 3.6 has never made any unusual noise starting up even after an oil change. My 2023 Grand Cherokee doesn’t either. On the new one the oil pressure starts out indicating around 48 psi and then drops to 31 psi for the rest of the drive unless I get on it.
I would think there is some kind of a anti drain back valve as I always hear oil gurgling down once the seal is cracked on the cartridge housing.

Next time you change oil, take the drain plug out first. Don't touch the oil filter cap. Let it drain until it's dripping. Now unscrew the oil filter cap. If your's is like all of mine have been there's about a 1/2 quart that drains out. So evidently the oil filter canister stays full until the oil filter comes out. Is that what the tip of the oil filter for?

My 3.6L can sit for a few weeks without any start up noise. Longer than about three weeks and there is a little noise for about 1-2 seconds, then everything is nice and quiet. If it really concerns you, you can use the clear flood mode. That will get oil to the top end of the engine before it fires up. Just make sure after you prime the engine by using the clear flood mode you have your foot off the gas before firing it up.

The cam phasers make a rattle when you start a Pentastar, even sitting just a few hours. They all seem to do it I would not worry about it, there are some other discussions on here today about phaser rattles on cold starts. Toyota and Nissan's are doing it as well as some Honda motors.

My 2015 Grand Cherokee 3.6 has never made any unusual noise starting up even after an oil change. My 2023 Grand Cherokee doesn’t either. On the new one the oil pressure starts out indicating around 48 psi and then drops to 31 psi for the rest of the drive unless I get on it.
I would think there is some kind of a anti drain back valve as I always hear oil gurgling down once the seal is cracked on the cartridge housing.
What filter and oil brands do you use?

Back