Chrysler FCA / Stellantis cannot clear codes on 2018 or newer?

Was wondering if this is a true statement. Was watching a youtube video on scan tools and there is mention that 2018 and after chrylser has locked the computers and you cannot clear codes yourself unless you pay a subscription fee.

I assume this was incorrect and that you cannot "reprogram" a module. You would certainly be able to pull a battery cable or use an off the shelf scanner to erase trouble codes correct?

FCA included a firewall in car network, example under steering column, so only authorized services/tools can do any functions like delete dtc, reset service, proxy aligment and so on. You can scan errors. There are cheap bypass modules.

I recall seeing something to this regard on some of the car repair channels on youtube I like to watch. I thought it was for manufacturer specific codes though and not generic OBDII stuff.

Some codes can not be cleared depending on what module it is coming from. Standard ODB2 stuff generally can. Once you get the gateway you can access everything.

This is true, there is a security module that is intended to prevent clearing codes or doing two-way activation. Some reader manufacturers offer a cable that bypasses the security module, Google "Chrysler 12+8 cable".

Install one of these and you're good to go:

1703111363563.png

[Edit]

This bypasses the Security Gateway module, essentially replacing it. Now you have the OBD2 port unlocked.

2018 Grand Caravan and 2019 Ram 1500 here. I can clear codes no problem on both using my $50 Autel AP200 and an iPhone, no subscription required and I just use the generic free “EOBD” option. It also has no problem accessing TONS of live data. I haven’t tried sending any commands beyond that with it though.

Or take the nuclear approach and unhook the battery, that will also clear codes.

Yes, on FCA/Stellantis vehicles with SGW….only scan tools with an Active Autoauth account have full functionality.
That's 💯 correct. And the yearly subscription fee for Autoauth isn't even that big of a deal. For $50/year you can use up to five tools and you can use it on multiple vehicles.

The problem is when you need to use a tool that's not on their approved list. Say, you want to use something like AlfaOBD to make small customizations, tell the BCM you installed LED bulbs here and there, etc. That's when a SGW Bypass comes in handy. There is the 12+8 cable, which IMHO is a huge hassle to use every time you need to access one of the modules via OBD2, or there is a more permanent solution of a little Bypass box like the one I linked, or ECRI, which is a few bucks cheaper. You can tuck it under the dash, or inside the dash if you have a RAM, and don't worry about it... unless you have to visit the dealer. Then you have to take it out, otherwise their scan tools, including WiTech, won't be able to connect to your vehicle, because they expect to the SGW.

My two cents about the SGW: it's a stupid money grab that has no real benefit for the consumer. It's an additional hassle meant to bring more business to dealers. In my case, it didn't work, I service my Mopars at home. But if you don't have the time to do the research, jump through hoops, and learn how to do it yourself, you will go to the dealer for sure. Buying scan tools that are Autoauth approved is also a decent option, but not needed IMHO. Personally, I like to stay away from Autoauth as much as possible. It's just a hinderance in the way of customers being able to do even the most basic tasks via the OBD2 port.

Yes, on FCA/Stellantis vehicles with SGW….only scan tools with an Active Autoauth account have full functionality.

I have the Tazer DT mentioned in the post above yours. It seems to get past all that nonsense and have full functionality, even adding features to the truck that are not present otherwise.

I have the Tazer DT mentioned in the post above yours. It seems to get past all that nonsense and have full functionality, even adding features to the truck that are not present otherwise.
If you add features with the Tazer, they will be erased if anyone performs a “configuration restore” using the dealer tool. This is a function that is required after many reflashes. FCA stores an “image” of your vehicle’s configuration and feature set on a server.

If you add features with the Tazer, they will be erased if anyone performs a “configuration restore” using the dealer tool. This is a function that is required after many reflashes. FCA stores an “image” of your vehicle’s configuration and feature set on a server.

Absolutely, I'm aware of that and I avoid the dealer like the plague. The work around is to disable the tazer before bringing it in, it restores your old config. Dealer does their stuff, you load the tazer back in and it reloads and saves the new config before making changes.

They'll never touch it again (and to be honest, it's been a great truck which hasn't needed service other than the complimentary back window leak which was fixed immediately under warranty).

Back