chrysler 545rfe need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats a great idea about the reset,i will try that out and yes i looked on amazon and i think i can get the mopar atf+4 shipped here now that amazon has opened up a depot in Australia.If i get the modified valve body and new solenoid block and atf +4 and it go's away we will never know what it was lol.But i will try and reset tcm and find out where thats actually located on vehicle.

Last edited:
On a side note when its making the noise at 65mph if you select neutral it go"s instantly quite so i was thinking what parts of the vehicle does that rule out that are still engaged?

Is Redline available in Australia? Because Redline C+ is the best ATF to use in any Chrysler transmission calling for ATF+4

Originally Posted By: Johnnos
On a side note when its making the noise at 65mph if you select neutral it go"s instantly quite so i was thinking what parts of the vehicle does that rule out that are still engaged?

The torque converter & the transmission fluid pump?

There is an additive that has a good reputation on this board, Lubegard red bottle. Don't know if it's available in your are.

Lubegard Link

That definitely sounds like gear whine to me, it could be a one way bearing though. Maybe the fresh fluid after the rebuild quietened it off for a bit. I don't think anything to do with the valve body or TCM is going to help. I doubt that ATF+4 will help either.

Hi whats a oneway bearing? As in a bearing in the Transmission or gear whine in the trans? I will look into the Redline product..

My front diff is turning all the time along with the driveshafts and before trans was pulled out i rebuild the front end and stripped the diff and reassembled but still the noise came back.yet go's dead silent when put into neutral when playing up all i hear when in neutral is mud tyres on bitumen lol then drop into drive and instant noise again.Only thing that stopped it for 3500klm was the trans being removed and put back in so?i appreciate all the idea's guys i really do....

Side note, I wouldn't worry about a licenced fluid. I had used a multi fluid in my old 2011 Ram 1500 with the 545. I ran it hard, towed hard and it never missed a beat all the way up to when we traded it in. Use a quality fluid that meets the ATF+4, don't worry about finding a licenced fluid.

Originally Posted By: AVB
That definitely sounds like gear whine to me, it could be a one way bearing though. Maybe the fresh fluid after the rebuild quietened it off for a bit. I don't think anything to do with the valve body or TCM is going to help. I doubt that ATF+4 will help either.

That's my thought as well for gear whines are typically of higher frequency in human audible range.
Hammerings between gear teeth of matching gear pairs and bearing rollers against races of inner or outer where radial clearances are large enough as a result of adhesion and abrasion wear for there is absence of adequate MOFT.

Hi whats a oneway bearing? As in a bearing in the Transmission or gear whine in the trans? I will look into the Redline product..

The one way bearing as mentioned by AVB is supporting a 'stator wheel' within the torque converter assembly, transferring traction power from engine to autotrans gear trains and out through transmission output shaft.
Increased wear related radial clearances in other ball and/or roller bearings within the transmissions can produce grrrr sound as another form of whines, IMHO.

Yes it sounds like it is internal transmission parts. I think you have ruled out the rest of the driveline. There is normally a one way bearing somewhere near the middle of the transmission as well at the torque converter. It is sometimes called the sprag. Think of it as the coaster hub on the rear wheel of a childs bicycle. It is only made to spin in one direction. It locks in one direction so that you can apply force, but if you don't spin it fast enough to maintain speed it can freewheel or overrun in the other direction to allow you to coast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back