Chrysler 3.8L ohv V6--Opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm not familiar with this engine that is in the new jeep JK, and i've done a fair bit of reading regarding the power band, torque curve etc as compared to the I-6, but i'm not finding a lot in the way of long-term durability of the engine

any help is appreciated

The engine in the new JK is from a minivan...don't take that wrong...it is tried and true. You can find out more at www.LOSTKJs.com ... go to the forum and page down to the Wrangler section. I could swear that it is a 4.0L though from the minivans...not a 3.8L

I can't understand why they didn't just use the tried and true 3.7 that they use in virtualy all the other Jeep vehicles.

Either way the pushrod Chrysler 3.8L V6 is a good engine. I've seen under maintained ones in MV's run for 10yrs and way over 100Kmi and still run fine. They have decent power and fuel economy.

Joel

3.8 is a good, smooth motor. It's not overbuilt, seems I recall the bottom end does not do well with forced induction. Chromoly plating on pistons, variable length intake (at least on L-cars)... we had the 3.3 version and it was great.

Timing belt, I believe on the 3.8.

THE INNARDS ON THE TRANNY are more interesting. The AT is based on the automatic transaxles in the minivans, neons, which is also adapted to the longitudinal FWD L cars. All use same innards. These are all descendants of the notorious A604, tho greatly improved. Ignore claims of "lifetime fluid." Change regularly.

Good info at "allpar.com"

There is a 3.8L pushrod. What I'm not certain about is if there is a 3.8L OHC version as well.

I guess it's possible.

No worries on the typo, have the drink of your choice
wink.gif

The 3.8 used is a 3.8 pushrod. It was originally introduced in 1989 for the old "C" body vehicles, i.e., Dynasty and New Yorker. The 3.3 version replaced the old Mitsu 3.0 when the current RS minivan was launched in '01. This engine has gone through almost 20 years of refinement and holds together very well. The JK didn't get the 3.7 due to production capacity limitations, plus 3.7 is a 90 degree V6, so it might have used more space under the hood.

Yup, the 3.8 is a stroked 3.3. Durable engine, but my bet is it will only be in the JK for maybe 1 more year till something new comes along.
The 3.8 is not going to be used in the new style Mini vans, and Chrysler will not only have 1 vehicle using an engine.

Quote:

To clear some things up...

The 3.8 is a bored and stroked 3.3

It's an OHV design run by a timing chain

...and pushrods. A solid "old school" design--the exact opposite of the SOHC 24 valve 3.5 V6 in my Chrysler 300M.

Quote:

i'm not familiar with this engine that is in the new jeep JK, and i've done a fair bit of reading regarding the power band, torque curve etc as compared to the I-6, but i'm not finding a lot in the way of long-term durability of the engine

any help is appreciated

Absolute gutless piece of JUNK engineering that has no power and pathetic gas mileage in the 2007 Grand Caravan. It's WAY behind the others in all forms. Stay away. In our use, it won't get more than 22mpg all highway (EPA 25mpg rating), it won't get out of it's own way when you need it to, and it doesn't idle smoothly. And this isn't just one example, I'm going off of three examples that are all only several months old. A shame that they're using 20 year old technology in an age where minivans such as the Sienna have 260-ish horsepower standard.

Now I know that you want to know about the reliability of this engine and I apologize for going on this rant here. Like most engines, ti should see 150k before needing internal work when maintained.

I know that this doesn't answer your question, but the 3.7 in our Liberty is pretty good. It idles smooth and has pretty good torque down low. Overall i'm pleased with it.

I have a 3.8L in my 2003 grand caravan and it is far from gutless and it idles smooth and i have gotten as good as 26mpg from it.

Aldaris, seems you got a bum engine. I got 27mpg on all highway @ 70-75mph on my last trip to OK City (about 450 miles). Van has plenty of get up and go for me.
Not sure what the mileage is in the JK though. Different gearing, weight and aerodynamics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back