cholecystectomy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JTK
quint, back when you tried the gasto route, did they have you try the no FODMAP foods diet? That's what mine started me on. I had to eliminate all high FODMAP foods for a period of time (week?) then slowly introduce each group back in until I discovered which caused a flare up. That and the hydrogen breath test are the only procedures I went through with my gastro. This is all going back 4yrs or so. Before the gall bladder problems. I've had a sensitive system for as long as I can remember.

No they just gave me the general advice, avoid spicy/fatty/fried/etc until your body adjusts. There was some talk about seeing a nutritionist if necessary. I was never a sensitive eater so I really wasnt too concerned about it. In the short time after the surgery I wasn't having much issue at all so I didn't dig into it much. The problems started a few weeks after the surgery, then disappeared for quite a long time, the better part of a year, with just a very occasional issue here or there. The last 2-2.5 years have been the worst of it to where it has come predictable.

I'll add the FODMAP diet to the list of things to check out, along with the bile salt topics mentioned earlier. Glad this thread got started! I had done some googling before the surgery to see what might be in store, and most people seemed to not have much issue with having the gall bladder gone, but there were a few horror stories here and there and I figured no that wont happen to me. I'm probably sounding melodramatic and making it sound much worse than it is, but it definitely can cause disruption daily life if I'm not careful about what I eat. When friends ask us to go out to dinner then a movie, or someone at work says lets go out to lunch before the meeting, I get very apprehensive because I know whats going to happen, and I have to back out, and it never used to be like that. I usually just fib a reason why I cant do the restaurant, then I say "we'll meet you at the concert/movie/whatever afterwards", because usually once the episode is over, I'm usually fine the rest of the day.

I wont claim to know a ton of people who have had their gallbladders out, but the half dozen or so that I know of, all of the guys have had issues, but none of the women have had any problems. Its a pretty small sample so really its proof of absolutely nothing, but I found it interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back