Anyone here had your gall bladder removed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had mine removed because it was full of "numerous small gall stones" and causing me a lot of pain and stomach trouble. You do not need your gall bladder, you can live just fine and have a normal diet without it.

hmmm, maybe I'll get mine removed too.

I don't suffer from gall stones or anything. Maybe as preventative step it would help

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
Well I have an update here...I had the surgery yesterday morning, I am right at 24 hours post-surgery now. I had some problems with the red tape between the hospital, surgeon and my health insurance and almost had to reschedule but my wife stepped in and got that worked out in short order...

The hospital and staff were outstanding, that was the best medical treatment I have ever received. The ER visit a couple weeks ago was great too. Yesterday they were very attentive and explained everything they did and everything they asked me to do in great detail so Mrs. Jimmy and I both understood what was going on.

All I can remember is the pre-op procedures, where they shaved my abdomen and started the IV. Then the anesthesiologist, surgeon and attending RN all came in and told me about the procedure. They made a couple incisions in my abdomen and pumped it full of air then made another incision in my abdomen and one in my belly button and removed the gall bladder. My wife said the surgeon told her that it was a very good thing I had it removed when I did because it was enlarged to an abnormal size and definitely would have caused more problems later if it had not been removed now.

I do remember the operating room when they first took me in there, it was very cold and also lit up like a football field. They had me slide over to the operating table and they put an oxygen mask over my nose and mouth. The next thing I knew I was waking up in the recovery room, very groggy but I knew where I was. There was a nurse sitting there monitoring my progress and after a while they brought my wife in and she helped me get dressed. They took me to the car in a wheel chair and I came home and went straight to bed.

I slept a while and woke up hungry, but also felt seasick and dizzy. That was from the anesthesia and I remember the anesthesiologist telling me most people just have to sleep it off. I took an anti-nausea pill that dissolves in your mouth, and ten minutes later I threw up. A little later I was able to keep down some chicken broth and Powerade. I slept off and on and was nauseated most of yesterday and last night. The nausea got progressively better and was gone when I woke up today. This morning I took a pain pill and am a little queasy now. I do not tolerate pain meds very well.

Other than being tired and still somewhat dehydrated I feel OK today. The only pain I really have is in my belly button. The surgeon also fixed a small hernia at my belly button while he was in there. I should be back on my feet in a few days but am not used to sitting around doing nothing and sleeping all the time. I am glad I had this done because I sure don't want any more gall bladder problems.

Good luck with your surgery Tdbo. I hope it goes as well as mine did. And thanks again for everyone's replies here.

Just saw this response. Thanks for the kind words, Jimmy.

Surgery day for me was yesterday. They went in and did it laparoscopicly and it took a little over an hour. In the recovery room, I threw up 2x. Wife took me home and I took a nap and slept off the rest of the anesthesia. Somewhat sore and tender around the incisions and some difficulty getting up and down but other than that, no problems. Not in any pain other than some minor discomfort, I have no desire for any additional pain medication. I'm sure my wife, the Nurse, will have a different opinion.

Glad that it is over with. I haven't felt this good in months.

I am glad it went well Tdbo. If yours is like mine the soreness will get better in the next 2 or 3 days. Mine was done last Monday and by Wednesday I was much better able to sit down and get up out of a chair and get in and out of bed. I still have just a little tenderness at the incisions but overall I am doing fine.

I had my follow up visit with the surgeon today, he said I am healing very well, everything looks great and I can return to work tomorrow. He also told me to return to normal activities within moderation and avoid high fat and trans fats in my diet. I will have some trial and error over the next few months finding out what I can and can not eat. I won't be changing any oil or cutting the grass for the next couple of weeks, doc said give the hernia repair as much time as possible to heal permanently.

Best wishes for a fast recovery.

Glad it went well, Tdbo.

Somebody told me, way back in the '80s, that after a gall bladder removal, you can no longer drink alcohol normally. Either your system can't tolerate it at all and you have violent reactions, or you drink beyond your capacity every time you take a drink because your system no longer gives "I'm drunk, no more booze" feedback. I have no idea if that's an urban legend, or just one of the things people tell friends to scare them (ha ha, very funny).

Anybody know for sure? If this is even partly true, Tdbo, you'll want to watch your alcohol intake.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Glad it went well, Tdbo.

Somebody told me, way back in the '80s, that after a gall bladder removal, you can no longer drink alcohol normally. Either your system can't tolerate it at all and you have violent reactions, or you drink beyond your capacity every time you take a drink because your system no longer gives "I'm drunk, no more booze" feedback. I have no idea if that's an urban legend, or just one of the things people tell friends to scare them (ha ha, very funny).

Anybody know for sure? If this is even partly true, Tdbo, you'll want to watch your alcohol intake.

Given the fact that the last alcoholic beverage that I had was on a cruise ship three years ago, I doubt that alcohol will pose much of an issue for me.
Reaction to alcohol for people who have had their gallbladders removed varies widely to the individual. However for those of us who have had to have this procedure done, moderation is the key not only for alcohol but food as well.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo

Given the fact that the last alcoholic beverage that I had was on a cruise ship three years ago, I doubt that alcohol will pose much of an issue for me.
Reaction to alcohol for people who have had their gallbladders removed varies widely to the individual. However for those of us who have had to have this procedure done, moderation is the key not only for alcohol but food as well.

Ah. Good to hear, then. (Chalk that idea up to yet another of the things my ex-wife "knew" that weren't necessarily so.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back