Chlorinated vs Non chlorinated brake cleaner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Autozone has both on the shelf, they say big bold letters "Chlorinated" and "Non-Chlorinated"

So umm... why would you sell both? I thought Chlorinated Brake cleaner disapeared because of EPA... but here I am, is there an application where one is better than the other?

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

It's a personal choice as to what you feel comfortable being exposed to.

I choose water, though sometimes its chlorinated too

Clorinated = works the best, not flammable, epa says bad stuff.

Non-clorinated = flammable, works ok(depends on brand), dries slower, Different types for epa.

Since I use it about 2-3x a year I dont care.

If I used it everyday in the shop I'd care.

Last edited:
tetra was abandoned as a fire retardent many years ago. Anyone remember the red glass globes? Bad stuuf if inhaled

I'll take my hydrocarbons thank you very much. If I get bored, I have a little flamethrower. Plus I'd rather breathe in HCs than chlorine gas...

As I understand it, Chlorinated makes some VERY toxic fumes when it gets hot (exhaust manifold or whatever) and the non chlorinated is less deadly.

Originally Posted By: danster
As I understand it, Chlorinated makes some VERY toxic fumes when it gets hot (exhaust manifold or whatever) and the non chlorinated is less deadly.
Yes, Toxic enough to kill you.

I've read the chlorinated can be very bad news when welding. If it doesn't all evaporate, for example residue left in a crack, the fumes (as mentioned above) can kill you.

It decomposes in to Phosgene, and it's quite certainly not good for you. The reaction is promoted by UV (of which there is plenty in welding). Just keep it away from very hot stuff or strong sources of UV and you're fine.

From what I remember Chlorinated cleans much better but may harm wheel sensors but I'm not sure anymore.

Non-Chlorinated is less harmful of a substance in general, and is more compatible with sensors (wheel speed sensors for ABS operation).

For cleaning out drum brakes I prefer just cutting a hole in the top of a water bottle so it squirts, and I rinse the drum out well and let them air dry, works very well.

I keep a can of brake cleaner handy during brake work, but try to only use it when necessary to clean brake fluid off of pads or if you get anti-seize or silicone lube on a disc to clean it off quickly.

Chlorinated cleans better but is toxic and eats/dissolves plastics. Add heat and it gets more toxic.

I keep both on the shelf. I generally use non chlorinated. But if the job is tough, and the object is cool and outside, I grab a can of the chlorinated stuff...being careful to keep it off paint and plastic...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back