China set to start building commercial airliners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Their military also has a new UAV that looks suspiciously like the Predator.

The C919 is entering a market which is already saturated with competitors, and it doesn't help that a test wing broke before it reached its design stress limits.

I have some very strong opinions, all I will say is that the world spends too much money over there.

o great,,,trade deficit should really like that. Hey,,,they mite sell their jets at wally world too, and their cars. PS, cant wait for the oil questions on their cars when they make it here.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
They are developing their intellectual property fast.

Actually Israel sells a LOT of our information to other countries whom we would prefer to not have it.

Not sure who our worst enemy is.

The US is soon to be #2 in world economic status. China is doing everything right to achive # 1 status. Perhaps too rapidly.

China also stole the Boeing wind design, and this was no simple wing design, it gave the US a considerable advantage over foreign competition !! I say stole, I don't want this to turn political, however stole should be replaced with sold by our great leaders in Washington, I hope that was vague enough to be considered non political...

Bill,
It is actually possible to fly on a Chinese built ex-TWA MD-80 in the US.
If anyone needs AAnother hint, connect through DFW, although I'm sure you already know this.
There was an article in WSJ a few weeks back concerning this proposed program, which remains at the fractional mock-up stage. If you buy Boeing's market estimate for China, and then look at the proportion of aircraft likely to be sold in the pax capacity and useful load proposed, and consider some reasonable fraction of the market in China for this proposed aircraft, the program is an almost sure bet.
The Chinese would not need to market this aircraft anywhere else.
They have the makings of a sucessful program with domestic sales alone.
Also, won't Airbus soon be building A320s in China?

On a side note, I read an interesting article in the November 22nd edition of Aviation Week & Space Technology that said:

1. The C919 is definitely overweight, i.e., for a "clean-sheet design," it's at the same weight the Airbus 320 was when it was introduced in the 1980s.

2. They've only received no more than fifty (50) confirmed order AND options for the C919, when, in fact, they expected the domestic airlines of China to order two or three hundred of this aircraft.

Unless Beijeng holds a gun to the head of the Chinese airline executives (they will) to force the purchase of huge quantities of this "new, but not overly competitive" aircraft, it will fail miserably.

I heard that they're putting together a major aircraft plant just on the outskirts of Beijeng. The name of the Chinese company will be called....... wait for it.......

Boing!!!!

The plan is that by using Boing as their name, they will easily garner sales based on the reputation of another large aircraft company with a similar sounding name.

Very Chinese indeed!!!

Originally Posted By: boraticus
I heard that they're putting together a major aircraft plant just on the outskirts of Beijeng. The name of the Chinese company will be called....... wait for it.......

Boing!!!!

The plan is that by using Boing as their name, they will easily garner sales based on the reputation of another large aircraft company with a similar sounding name.

Very Chinese indeed!!!
banana2.gif
happy2.gif

Originally Posted By: Steve S
I hope I never have to fry in a Boing.!

Wouldn't that be...

"I hofe I rever half to fry in a Boing!"

lol.gif

This is sort of off-topic but currently numerous critical rotating parts in many Pratt & Whitney engines are made in China along with major landing gear components for Boeing. I used to always find cracks in the JT8D-219 forward compressor disc but over the past few years have noticed a huge decline in component failure. This has occured with the transition to the Chinese made disc. There was obviously a metallurgy change to reduce the failures. This engine is used on most Boeing MD-80 series jets.

I never find any unusual component failure on the Chinese-made landing gear other than heat induced surface cracking on piston diameters. This is common regardless of where the component is made.

Originally Posted By: rshunter
Originally Posted By: Steve S
I hope I never have to fry in a Boing.!

Wouldn't that be...

"I hofe I rever half to fry in a Boing!"

lol.gif

you light.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back