ALM Antillean Airlines Flight 980 - A Cabin Crew Perspective- One of the first intentional ditching in the ocean

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
This article was a good read about a commercial jet ditching into the ocean because of low fuel. Lots of lessons learned from this ditching. I wonder if the water was colder if anyone would have survived. It was disappointing to read about the loss of life in the last paragraph of the article. The article suggest no loss of life until the very end.

GON, thank you for sharing. I had never heard of this accident before now.

As someone who travels way more frequently as compared to the rest of us, I am sure that you are well aware of what could be possible with air travel incidents.

As someone who travels way more frequently as compared to the rest of us, I am sure that you are well aware of what could be possible with air travel incidents.
Life has its risks. Die doing something or die doing nothing. Still dead and I will positively absolutely say we are all going to die. One of my friends died in the DC10 crash in Chicago where one of the engines fell off , I have watched too many people die from cancer/ heart attacks and a few from M/C crashes. Some I know that have their names on the Vietnam war memorial. One of my dads friends a WWII gunner on a bomber that was shot down and he was a pow told me, you are going to die when it is your time to die.

WT,

I am not aware of many incidents from my flying.

One incident does come to mind, a 100 +/- regional flight from Greenville, SC to Charlotte, NC. The flight seem to struggle from the time the regional jet took off. For a short flight- there seem to be a lot of issues. Shortly before landing, smoke was reported in the cabin. I was in the exit row. We landed at CLT, with all the fire trucks and such waiting to greet us. The instructions were to leave everything behind and orderly exit the aircraft onto the taxiway.

Being in the exit row and feeling a sense of implied responsibility, I was the last passenger to exit the plane. I left my carry on behind as instructed. I discovered I was the only passenger that left his/ her carryon behind. On a good note, CLT did get busses to the taxiway in a timely manner to get us to the terminal, and I did get by carryon back- also in a timely manner.

Observation/ Lesson learned- passengers don't follow the crews emergency instructions very well.

At the very least we can 'confidently assume' weather assessment and reporting has improved since 1970.

We, wife and I, were sitting in the exit row of a regional (?) prop job travelling from Cortez to Denver, Colorado.
The flight attendant pointed out the exit and said it was that seat's passenger's job to assist people out in the event of emergency.
I nodded in affirmation and she said she had to hear me agree. I did.

I'm all for helping people and I doubt there are many laymen out there who could help as well as I could...in such an emergency....{he adds modestly].

It has been said that 3 major events have to occur for an airline tragedy or plane crash.

....holding breath.

From my flying days I remember, "The three most worthless things in aviation".
1) Altitude above you
2) Fuel left behind
3) ?

The last guy alive that was picked up by the life boats must have been one who really cared for others lives. Anyone who lived was very lucky. Very interesting article.

Reactions: GON
Back