Chevy Silverado 5.3 and LSPI

So I’ve got a ‘22 Silverado 1500 with the 5.3. No chip for the DFM. For these V8’s do I really need to worry about LSPI? Seems that’s just a concern for the higher compression, turbo engines. I’d really like to run a 5w30 because I do some towing from time to time. I’m not worried about the powertrain warranty.

Running a dexos1 gen3 oil should take care of your lspi concerns. From my understanding most people run 0w-20 in these engines, even with towing.

No, turbochargers are what exasperate it. Even if it was prone to any lspi there are SP rated euro and hdeo's available. Mobil delvac 1300 is SP rated and so is the quaker state euro 5w-40 that I'm using in my 2021 escalade and it's still averaging the same 17.4-17.5 as always and that's only reset after every fill up. Get them at walmart.

Will failing lifters give any notice before hand?

Yeah if you catch them early it won't cause any additional damage. A member recently posted about that happening and changing all the lifters pretty quickly without needing a new cam.
It’s almost safer to do this as a preventative measure, because even the bumper-to-bumper warranty doesn’t ensure the dealer won’t screw something up during the repair…

Back