Chevy Cruze diesel question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NateDN10
From what I understand, the bulletproof reliability of diesel engines is somewhat a thing of the past now that they're more complicated and computerized. I don't have any specific information regarding the reliability of the Cruze diesel, but my thought is that if you're switching from a Civic to a Cruze diesel for reliability reasons, you're probably moving in the wrong direction. The Cruze diesel will obviously get better mpgs, and will probably be decently reliable - most new cars are. But you don't buy one if your #1 requirement is reliability.

To add some more color to this. Gasoline engines have also become more complicated and computerized so this doesn't necessarily mean diesels are less reliable. However, if additional after-treatment devices are used it can certainly create a situation with less reliability. One of the reasons that diesels aren't "as reliable" as the used to be is that they are being designed for the market. Historically, diesel engines are used in Semi's that have 1 million mile life expediencies, when diesels were moved into passenger vehicles a lot of the same design features remained.

As the passenger market has been better understood the engines have been better designed to fit the market expectations. Think along the lines of if it makes sense to increase the cost of a camshaft $100 and increase the reliability from 250k miles to 500k. In the past yes, today the designs are more optimized.

I'm a semi mechanic and test drove a Chevy Cruze sedan with a diesel and a 6 speed manual. I started a thread about it months ago. I recently did another test drive on one. It is probably one of the quietest small cars as far as wind and road noise goes. It also rides very good despite having a rear beam suspension. The engine is a little louder when first started up but it quiets down a little. Chevy adds more sound deadening to the diesel option. Consumers Reports got 60 MPG highway. There is a spare tire unlike the old diesel Cruze. You don't buy the car for fuel savings. The diesel Cruze is like opting for a more powerful engine which cost more money. DEF fluid can be had under $3 a gallon at a truck stop. Most truck stops have DEF pumps. If you are competent at fixing things yourself, go for it. As of today, a new diesel particulate filter for the Cruze can be found for under $1K. I do NOT recommend warming a modern diesel up or letting it idle for long periods of time. I would take a close look at the hard to find Elantra Eco if you want a very fuel efficient gasoline powered vehicle that is peppy when put in the right mode.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
...I do NOT recommend warming a modern diesel up or letting it idle for long periods of time...

Can you elaborate on this? Why not warm up and what constitutes a "modern" diesel in this statement? Thanks.

My 2 cents. I have a 2014 Cruze Diesel. Love it. Purchased it used with 13k miles on it May of 2015. It now has 60k on it and my average mpg has been 45mpg. I have gotten as high as 54mpg and a distance of 804 miles on one tank. Matter of fact I just filled the DEF tank for the second time since I purchased it at a cost of $12.

Only issue I have had is the DEF tank heater and one NOX sensor, both covered under warranty.

It is my understanding reading the Car & Driver issue they tested a new 18 Cruze Diesel and got 60mpg out of it.

My daughter and wife love my Cruze. They drive it when ever they can. Plenty of power, more than the gas version. You can also get the new with a manual shift.

Reliability is a toss up if you ask me. A chance with any vehicle. Your Honda will last a long time as they usually do. I just like the MPG I get with the Cruze Diesel.

Also 10k mile oil changes are no problem.

Last edited:
Yeah a lot of people on here are Honda worshippers and will roast anything GM.

Cruze is a great car. Diesel Cruze, especially when it first came out, had some issues with the emissions systems, but that's all fixed under warranty. People on the Cruze forum are getting 70 mpg with it, and it's fun to drive.

The original diesel Cruze used a 2.0L engine that was derived from a mature engine developed in Europe.
I would rather buy a used Cruze diesel with that engine than a new one with the 1.6L engine. The new engine could have some wrinkles that need ironing out in the first couple of years of production.

Stay with your Honda for at least 3 more years, maybe 5, and see how well the Cruze ages in the hands of other people.

The Civic should be able to double its current use given the kind of driving you're doing with it.
Three or four years from now might be the time to start looking for another car.
I wouldn't really recommend any current diesel, since the virtues of extreme simplicity and low maintenance along with superior longevity that you got with something like an old Mercedes diesel no longer apply.
Given the typical price differential between diesel and gasoline, you won't save any money on fuel either.
If this Honda gives you 250K and ten years of use, then I'd say that you've found your durable and economical commuter.

Originally Posted By: NavyVet88

What is the oil change situation like with a diesel motor? By that I mean, do they generally have a bigger sump to hold more than a traditional gas engine sump? -Ive been told that it will cost significantly more because of oil type and filters but idk. Also, I do my own oil changes.

If I remember right, the Cruze diesel only takes 5 qts, but you are supposed to use Dexos2, which isn't always on a retail store shelf. I used to have a lot of trouble getting AC Delco Dexos2 through GM at work, and if I could get something that was actually licensed as such at a parts store, it was very expensive. The filter isn't that common either. If there was ever a car that needed an oil and filter stash, it's a the Cruze diesel. I try to keep 1 or 2 filters and a case of Dexos2 around at work...we don't see many of them here.

If you ever want to take one to a dealer for an oil change, call ahead and make sure they have the filter and oil. Otherwise the oil changer might drain the oil first, then ask for the oil and filter after.
33.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back