Chevy auto-stop feature?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CKN

You do realize that Ford sells an "F Series" pickup like every 30 seconds nationally don't you? You do realize that the vast majority of those are half-tons with "start'stop" technology. Yes-there is a cut off switch-that you have to press EVERY TIME you start the truck. My son has one and after a short time you do not even pay attention to the motor turning it's self on and off.

So yes-people buy them-in case of the F-150 - in vast quantities.
Not seeing your point. People buy bad products based on name all the time(not saying start stop is bad). I'm happy with my "old school" Coyote and 6 speed auto using perfected decades old proven tech.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hatt

You do realize that Ford sells an "F Series" pickup like every 30 seconds nationally don't you? You do realize that the vast majority of those are half-tons with "start'stop" technology. Yes-there is a cut off switch-that you have to press EVERY TIME you start the truck. My son has one and after a short time you do not even pay attention to the motor turning it's self on and off.

Not seeing your point. People buy bad products based on name all the time(not saying start stop is bad). I'm happy with my "old school" Coyote and 6 speed auto using perfected decades old proven tech.

The point being at least in the case of the F-150 "start-stop" seems to be a non issue. Since they lead the pack in truck sales by a large margin.

And in regards to your "bad-product" comment- we all know the arm chair engineers on here know more than the people who design them-and most certainly the people who buy them. At least they think they do.......

Last edited:
Features like this to conserve fuel and meet CAFE standards are going to be the norm. Here-on BITOG where the Crown Vic is idolized and new tech phobia is epidemic-the above comment by TRAV pretty much is representative of most.

No true, I embrace new technologies that are well thought out and properly implemented but not buggy agenda driven garbage posing as new tech.
Did anyone embrace seat belt interlock devices that had dealer service departments making road calls on a regular basis or automatic seat belts?

Start stop is fine if you can change the default to off for those who don't want it but the simple fact that it is on with no possibility to turn it off says GM included fuel economy numbers with it on and the consumer must pay for it and use it if they like it or not.

Nice ... Thank you Skyactiv!

CKN, no, I did not realize this but I still question engine longevity with this feature. I have no hard facts or data but I suspect these engines will experience premature wear, especially with city driving if stopped and started continuously without adequate warming period. As mentioned, I do turn off my engine for prolonged stops but I would rather have control and especially when the engine is still cold.

On my 07 Camry Hybrid, I loved the start/stop/CVT transmission, which was totally seamless and one of my favorite cars. On anything else I find it very annoying.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hatt

The point being at least in the case of the F-150 "start-stop" seems to be a non issue. Since they lead the pack in truck sales by a large margin.

And in regards to your "bad-product" comment- we all know the arm chair engineers on here know more than the people who design them-and most certainly the people who buy them. At least they think they do.......
The arm chair engineers aren't run by bean counters. I don't dismiss them.

Our 2018 VW Tiguan MPG dropped from 29 MPG(April/May) to 27 MPG average. Why???? Because the start stop does not engage as often because the AC compressor needs to run. I don't mind the feature especially that moving your foot on brake pedal starts engine right away.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Our 2018 VW Tiguan MPG dropped from 29 MPG(April/May) to 27 MPG average. Why???? Because the start stop does not engage as often because the AC compressor needs to run. I don't mind the feature especially that moving your foot on brake pedal starts engine right away.

Not exactly. A/C takes 4-5 HP to run the compressor. That was the biggest impact on you fuel economy during this summer.

Originally Posted By: Zee09
That feature never bothers me.
When I stop i prefer the peace an quietness it provides.

Yeah … again, if it’s a Cruze with this feature … or one of mine without … if I’m sitting at a long red light … going in “N”… both stay running …

All I know is a friend has a Malibu with this feature, and after severals years of owning it it is drinking oil now. Just saying.

Originally Posted By: CleverUserName
Originally Posted By: madRiver

Not exactly. A/C takes 4-5 HP to run the compressor. That was the biggest impact on you fuel economy during this summer.
THIS!

Originally Posted By: Trav
Personally I wouldn't by any car at any price that could not have this miserable Mikey Mouse feature disabled on the dealers lot before driving it away. Hard to believe this feature makes CVT look good, they can shove them both where the sun never shines sideways.

Oh but you’re have that right! No [censored] way I’d go near anything with that [censored] feature. Just a grand deal of wear and tear and a whole laundry list of possibly very expensive repairs down the road. Get it out the door is the new sales motto of today, garbage and frustration for everyone. I’m all for practical advancements e things these tree hugging CARB idiots are forcing go beyond insane.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
On the F150 forums, owners are pulling the disable switch and installing a jumper so every time you fire the truck off it thinks the disable has been hit.
There...... fixed

As long as there is a fix, that works for me. No fix, no way to turn it off, I'd pass on the vehicle. I see I'm not alone in my opinion of the system, and I'm in good company.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Driz
Originally Posted By: Trav
Personally I wouldn't by any car at any price that could not have this miserable Mikey Mouse feature disabled on the dealers lot before driving it away. Hard to believe this feature makes CVT look good, they can shove them both where the sun never shines sideways.

Oh but you’re have that right! No [censored] way I’d go near anything with that [censored] feature. Just a grand deal of wear and tear and a whole laundry list of possibly very expensive repairs down the road. Get it out the door is the new sales motto of today, garbage and frustration for everyone. I’m all for practical advancements e things these tree hugging CARB idiots are forcing go beyond insane.

I love technology, I have seen points, carbs, generators, manual windows, cars with cats, no A/C or rear defogger, 3 on the tree manual shifts, bias ply tires, 10K spark plugs, alcohol based anti freeze, leaded fuel and a host of other things drop by the wayside for much better technologies. Those were not the good old days that technology sucked in a big way.

Stop/start is not better technology, it is bad technology looking for a home and agenda driven drivel is providing it. Much of the so called "new" technology like CVT and DI are just 50+ year old technology rehashed, it wasn't much good or it was buggy then and now they try to make it better.

JMO.

Good grief! This discussion was properly placed in the "Automotive General Topic." It's not a discussion about the Cruze or Chevy but a discussion about the stop/start and if wear concern of the diesel motor is an issue with consideration that diesel has lubrication properties over gasoline.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: double vanos
On the F150 forums, owners are pulling the disable switch and installing a jumper so every time you fire the truck off it thinks the disable has been hit.
There...... fixed

As long as there is a fix, that works for me. No fix, no way to turn it off, I'd pass on the vehicle. I see I'm not alone in my opinion of the system, and I'm in good company.
wink.gif

Well if you looked at the number of members on the various truck forums of all brands-then looked at the number of units sold of said brands- it's a very small minority who participate in forums-and a very small percentage that use the "jumper fix" on the start-stop.

you could say exactly the same about the stuff I mentioned, seat belt starter interlock and automatic seat belts. Items implemented in another time to appease another "the world will come to an end if we don't" knee jerk agenda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back