Chevy 1.4L Turbo and Octane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regular gas prices around me have fallen a lot recently, but the premium prices have come down a lot more slowly...93 was 60 cents a gallon more than 87 when I filled up at a Mobil on my way home from skiing last Thursday! This was a somewhat out of the way station that doesn't normally seem to gouge too badly.

I'm going to run 93 no matter what, but it is frustrating that premium prices seem to rise faster and fall slower than regular.

Run high octane in small motor turbos especially in Summer. Your ECU will continue to advance timing till it knocks then back it off. Runs cooler too.

Also, one thing to consider which many don't; if you're LEASING or purchase a new car every few years WHO CARES WHAT OIL OR GAS YOU PUT IN IT??!!

For turbo engines - octane equals more power - which equals a more fun ride. Other than that who cares what your chambers look like or what the oil does to your engine?

I don't care what the manual states, if you have a supercharged/Turbocharged car you should be running premium fuel!! Todays engines are very small displacement/high output and with the ECU constantly monitoring knock, you will see gains going from 87 to 93 or more. With my past experience in engine building and ECU programming, I wouldn't dream of running a forced induction vehicle on 87 octane!

My 2008 Subaru Legacy clearly calls for "premium fuel only" but it will run on 87, albeit becomes a total turd and won't even allow you to engage the sport + mode.

Manufacturers have learned to pander to the oddities of how it's not how much money it's what do feel is worth it. They don't redesign rather make people feel better about cheaping out. All they need is say a chevy Cruze with snow tires to safely drive where they do. But they won't pay for snow tires, now the awd with low pro "all seasons" and turbo for an extra 8k no problem. Now this should have more frequent oil changes and higher octane fuel, these they will not pay for. Rather than admit this today's company attitude is just agree with the customer and wait for the next person to get unknowingly screwed. Out of warranty out of mind, if we get any complaints with original owners we'll still come out ahead.

A little late to the game here, but I have found that even in my 2017 SantaFe 3.3 V6, not only does 92 octane fuel make a difference, but E0 92 octane fuel really wakes it up. This is reflected in the dash avg mpg display. Same commute, 3-4 mpg improvement over E-10 92.

https://www.pure-gas.org/

Last edited:
I have a Cruze 1.4t as well and 91/93 is the only way to go. Not sure what spark plugs your 1.4 came with stock but the plugs in the cruze suck. Apparently a heat range colder or switching to coppers in the same heat range works best. Stock in my cruze was the AC Delco IFR7G7. BKR8EIX is one of the better running plugs and the copper which are cheap but will need to be replaced checked more offer are BKR7E. Plug gaps are finicky on these little motors as well. .028 to .032 are typical start ranges for those of us with cruze. May help get you a bit more pep and low rpm power. Those of us with manual trans have noted we can shift around 4-5 mph sooner into 6th gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back