Cherokee or GC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time for the wife's 14 Accord to go, she has narrowed it down to GC or Cherokee, wants new. She likes the size of Cherokee, have done some research and 9 speed transmission seems to have many complaints, are they cured yet? Will be 3.2 V6.
TIA

GC is a larger, more-solidly built, more capable off-road vehicle.

I'm not 100% all the problems are cured with the 9-speed auto; but I DO know the 8-speed auto in the GC is a very solid unit.

Both the 3.2 and 3.6 V-6's are excellent engines, no problem with either.

Go with what fits your wife's wants, needs and budget.
The JGC can be quite a step up, unless you get air ride, which has an entry mode.
If that works for your wife, the JGC is hard to beat. I just bought one.
I don't hear much of anything on Cherokee 9 speed transmission issues.
I work at a Jeep store.

The Cherokee is a smaller, front wheel drive based vehicle. The Grand Cherokee is a larger, rear wheel drive based vehicle. But as stated by addyguy, both V6's are great engines, and the 8 speed in the Grand Cherokee is phenomenal.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
The Cherokee is a smaller, front wheel drive based vehicle. The Grand Cherokee is a larger, rear wheel drive based vehicle. But as stated by addyguy, both V6's are great engines, and the 8 speed in the Grand Cherokee is phenomenal.

This.

I've had my GC for almost three years now and am really fond of it.

Originally Posted by luna
Time for the wife's 14 Accord to go, she has narrowed it down to GC or Cherokee, wants new. She likes the size of Cherokee, have done some research and 9 speed transmission seems to have many complaints,

The Cherokee will be more similiar to what she's used to. Kind of a higher riding Accord. With the GC it will be like going from a car to a full size truck. Maybe test drive both and take it from there. Plus the Cherokee should be much less expensive. GL.

My wife looked at a Cherokee Trailhawk; not bad at all but she didn't love it. I really like the GC with the V8; one of the few vehicles I'd consider swapping my Wrangler for.
Apples and oranges I know.

GC is what I'd prefer she get also, need to check out what deals are being offered currently, if Limited can be bought for around 36k I can probably convince her to go with the GC.

Get a Grand Cherokee. Look for one lightly used, as they depreciate quite a bit.

We picked up my grandpa's 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited last year for $18.2k, was $47k new. Had 102k miles though. So 4-ish years old and lost 61% of it's value.

Best thing then would be to get a good extended warranty. We could have used that.

Wife has a 2016 Cherokee limited with v6 awd including low range. She loves it. No issues at all. The transmission issues that were prevalent on the 14 and 15 model years were corrected with a hardware up grade for model year 16. If you search jeep forums, you find few transmission issues.

Wife has a 2016 Cherokee limited with v6 awd including low range. She loves it. No issues at all. The transmission issues that were prevalent on the 14 and 15 model years were corrected with a hardware up grade for model year 16. If you search jeep forums, you find few transmission issues.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Get a Grand Cherokee. Look for one lightly used, as they depreciate quite a bit.

We picked up my grandpa's 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited last year for $18.2k, was $47k new. Had 102k miles though. So 4-ish years old and lost 61% of it's value.

Best thing then would be to get a good extended warranty. We could have used that.

This. Get a 1 year old model that is CPO. Jeep loses value hand over fist, and it makes zero sense to buy a new one since nothing special happened for this year vs last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back