Check out this dipstick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
No Offense... but this post should win "most inconsequential post of the month" or something.

Am I missing something here?? The oil level is clearly marked "between" the two Full/Add holes. Right? So what's the problem?

Add 1/4-1/2 quart and bring it to full. Done!!!

I have no idea why you want to switch to a non-spec oil. none.

IMHO... you're making an issue out of nothing. Sorry to be blunt.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
. . . The 0W-20 grade is intended for "severe driving conditions". In fact I've run the Honda 0W-20 in my track car that's spec's for 5W-50 with good results:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2828484#Post2828484
. . . .

I agree with your conclusions, but WRT your running 0W-20 weight oil in your track car, if memory serves your Ford-engined Caterham has an oil cooler sufficient for a CAT diesel
grin.gif
, and thus your oil temperature rarely exceeds 190F, correct? The OP's CR-V will routinely see oil temperatures in excess of 210F by design. Still, Honda's housebrand 0W-20 is fine.

If it did use over half a qt during break in the oil viscosity change wont make any difference this isnt by any means a high rpm high performance machine..0w20 should already be full synthetic which is better at alleviating engine oil use. I wouldnt be happy at all..my last 2 new vehicles 11 Ford Edge & recently acquired 2013 Ford Edge did not use ANY oil during break in at least not dicernable on dip stick and I check once per wk!!

PP 0W-20 has a good NOACK - FWIW. The whole thing seems a bit OCD for a company car. Just keep it maintained and worry about important stuff.

It sounds like normal break in consumption. It will probably appear to do better with the 5w20 but IMHO it would be a false assumption to believe it slowed/stopped the consumption which should slow/stop regardless as the engine breaks in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back