Check date code on this battery I bought yesterday. Talk about fresh.

wdn

I bought this battery yesterday, October 30, 2021 at Sam’s Club. Talk about fresh, look at the date code sticker: 11/21

4B3BD9F2-7A03-479E-99A6-939192EF72F6.jpeg

The factory was trying to save money and ordered no more 10/21 labels than they thought they would need, but produced more batteries than anticipated? So they had to use the 11/21 labels?

Perhaps this could prove to your advantage if the battery fails close to the end of it's warranty.

It was delivered to the Sam’s Club store yesterday from East Penn and put at the back of the shelf. The date stickers are put on by the manufacturer. The freshest batteries are on the back so naturally that is the one I picked. When I took it there was a plastic spacer covering on top of the batter, for stacking batteries I suppose.

There’s nothing spooky about it the battery was delivered to the store yesterday and today (Sunday) the tire and battery department is closed.

For my workplace I purchase East Penn/Deka batteries from a local warehouse. They put those stickers on at the counter of the warehouse when purchased. They are not from the factory with those stickers - at least in my case. To my knowledge, the only accurate date code is the one stamped into the plastic battery case.

Your sticker may have been placed on that battery at the warehouse that supplies your Sam's Club and it sat there for 10 months (or not). Those stickers are probably just for general inventory monitoring. Either way, you probably got a relatively fresh battery.

I used to deliver to an Interstate Battery location, and mentioned the newness of the sticker on a Costco battery I had bought. He reaches on the forklift and pulls up a roll, and says "oh these?". LOL.
Apparently, they put those on when they recharge them. They go into the stores, check or refresh the charge, or swap them out, then the sticker goes on. It is not the manufacture date.

I was looking at the batteries in our sam’s 2 weeks ago. Only has two group 24s. One dated may and the other dated July, by the little stickers. Ouch. I bought an 8 mo old agm once, figuring it sat long enough to shorten its lifespan within the warranty, and was correct. Autozone put a new one in when the crv went silent overnight around 32 months in. Worked out ok, but unless I was in a pinch I’d hold out for fresh. (I was in a pinch and the premium batteries don’t seem to be as consistently stocked).

m

I was looking at the batteries in our sam’s 2 weeks ago. Only has two group 24s. One dated may and the other dated July, by the little stickers. Ouch. I bought an 8 mo old agm once, figuring it sat long enough to shorten its lifespan within the warranty, and was correct. Autozone put a new one in when the crv went silent overnight around 32 months in. Worked out ok, but unless I was in a pinch I’d hold out for fresh. (I was in a pinch and the premium batteries don’t seem to be as consistently stocked).

m
Those dates are the last time they were charged. The actual mfg date is probably way older. If they haven’t been charged in 4-6 months I’d be concerned. I guess due to the blind exchange policy, they don’t have a company (e. g. Interstate) come in and maintain their stock.

Back