Charging battery with battery charger?

I read that a EFB battery shouldn't be charged at a voltage higher than 14.5 V so I turned it off and then measured the battery resting voltage at is was 12.6.
Measuring battery voltage immediately after charging gives a misleading, artificially high voltage reading, due to surface charge. Wait at least 12 hours before measuring volts.

Last edited:
Treat yourself to a new CTEK charger and keep the manual charger as a back up. They are handy when you need to use a dumb charger to put a base charge into a really flat battery when a smart charger wont do it.

Paco

i second the CTek, i have the 4.3 Muse for years + it keeps my rarely used vehicles ready to go + all my batteries are older than average with my 2013 vic hammer motorcycle having the OE battery!! charger has various settings, no fuss!!

That charger isn't going to move the needle much on a 100 amp hour battery. That charger you have is for motorcycle batteries or lawn mowers (12-20 Ah) batteries. It doesn't have enough output to overcharge that battery.

That charger isn't going to move the needle much on a 100 amp hour battery. That charger you have is for motorcycle batteries or lawn mowers (12-20 Ah) batteries. It doesn't have enough output to overcharge that battery.
I was thinking the same thing, per that manual they only seem to want you to charge a battery about 30-40%. Enough to start the car.

This charger has some kind of unique charging protocol that isn't standard. Not uncommon. Without knowing what the charger is doing you have to just follow what the manufacturer says because it's probably the least likely to cause damage

You can overcharge with way less than that. Way less.

It would have to be malfunctioning for this to happen, it should go into constant voltage at some point, but just hypothetically, if you just charged with constant current and never switched into CV you would overcharge a 100Ah battery with anything that charges faster than the batteries' rate of self discharge, plus whatever load the car is pulling when it's shut off but still connected, which might only be a few dozen mA. Almost anything could overcharge it. 1% of the current that 4A charger gives could overcharge a 100Ah battery.

Itd take awhile before you noticed. But it's absolutely possible. In a hypothetical scenario where the charger never goes into CV charging or float charging.

Back