Changing valve gasket on Ranger. Varnish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Delta
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

How many have you seen with DOHC? lol Thinking it is "some other engine" in there...

Believe it or not those years the 2.3's were DOHC. The 2.5 was SOHC IIRC.

Yes, but it is not a Lima engine as was asserted

Originally Posted By: Alex_V
Originally Posted By: das_peikko
That's not true at all. With frequent enough oil changes, varnish can be completely avoided and the engine looking like new inside.

It can be, with highway driving and particularly good maintenance, but what I see there isn't anything to worry about at all. If the engine's running well otherwise, gettng good mileage, and the PCV works correctly, motor on.

+100

Over the life of the vehicle a little varnish is nothing, and the expense of ultra-premium oils changed often adds up ...

That's a fine looking top end. I'd run that out to 300,000 for sure
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: otis24
Don't think of it as varnish. Think of it as a nice Amber "patina".

From what I've seen here, Valvoline engines often show that discoloration. The engine looks super clean, I agree put it back together and keep doing what you're doing.

Sorry for the distant picture. Here it is closer up. I will note that I am painting my valve cover, and it also had that layer or varnish... I simply sprayed some degreaser on the inside and was able to wipe the majority of it up. You can see some spots that I'd have to brush with a sponge on the valve cover, but prior to that picture it was amber like the rest of the engine. Nothing was hard like plaque persay...etc.

I have no clue how the previous owner took are of things. As much as he said he loved and took care of the truck there were MANY things that I have replaced to bring it up to spec... For being 17 years old it doesn't look it's age honestly.

I always figured 5k mile change with Valvoline maxlife semi blend was good.. Would it be worth switching to M1 high mileage?

Appreciate all the comments!

valvecover.jpg

valve1.jpg

valve2.jpg

-Nigel

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
Originally Posted By: Linctex
Yes, Nigel - after 185,000 that is to be expected. Nothing at all out of the ordinary.

That's not true at all. With frequent enough oil changes, varnish can be completely avoided and the engine looking like new inside.

Big deal. With your spotless engine, you can enter it in Better Home and Gardens. That varnish is harmless, no need to worry at all.

Yes I do consider it short. It's 37 oil changes over ca 17 years which makes almost two per year. I would run it a full year and more like 8-10k OCI.
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Originally Posted By: lars11
A thin coat of that can't be a problem. However, with supershort 5k oci I would expect less. Maybe check the PCV system to make sure there is good ventilation of excessive fumes in there.

Really? a 5K OCI on a 17 year old truck is considered 'supershort'?

I'm no expert, but the close-up photos only show light varnish. The previous owner probably changed the oil regularly like he claimed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back