Changed Oil on my Polaris 700 Twin ATV Today...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought it new and it has 16 hours on it. Polaris wants it changed at 20 hours.

I had the Amsoil 0w-40 Power Sports Oil & Polaris oil filter for a bit.

The drail plug was cranked on and was Metric allen head - thought it would be Standard!

The Oil filter was also cranked on and wasn't coming off. It's too small of diameter for the small adjustable band. It wasn't coming off by hand as there was such a small area to grab it with...

The manual said the wrench is available at the dealer - went up and they didn't have one & were jerks about it. I was frustrated because it was a nusiance thing (something so easy turned into a pain!!)

I went home & pounded a screwdriver into it - barely helped - it just elongated the hole. Finally got it off after another 20 minutes.

Definitely didn't crank the new one too tight......

I don't understand why dealers do dumb things like that. I've gotten to the point that I drive 30 minutes across town to avoid the jack-a** parts guys at the closest dealer, and that's where I bought my quad. The parts guys ruined the dealership for me, I'll not buy from them again.

Glad you got it off though. You may want them to order the special tool you need for the filter.

I've heard that Polaris oil drain plugs tend to leak...allot.

Chris

The manual said the wrench is available at the dealer. So I went to the dealer and they don't stock them!

If it's new the drain plug and filter were assembled dry, which could be why they were so tight. Dealer just adds oil so can't really be blamed.

Yep, no blame on the dealer at all. They were suppose to have the special wrenches, do not stock them and sounds like they will not stock them.

Here is small filter wrench. I have one of these and it has come in handy a few times.

g2198_640.jpg

For auto and motorcycle applications in hard to get at locations. Range: 2-1/2” to 3-1/8”.

Check them out

btw - Friend is a big Polaris fan and his family own a bunch but he has nothing nice to say about the local dealer. Never any time for service or have parts you need.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
Yep, no blame on the dealer at all. They were suppose to have the special wrenches, do not stock them and sounds like they will not stock them.

I meant the fault of the dealer was the jerks in the parts department. To me the parts department, more than anything else, defines the dealership. My relationship with the parts guys, the prices they charge me and their parts/tool availability are the keys to getting me back into a dealership for the long-run.

I took the Polaris oil filter to Wal Mart & bought one of those plastic end-cap type of filter wrenches for about $4. Worked great for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back