Ceramic wax

Originally Posted by painfx
Originally Posted by demarpaint
Originally Posted by LTZ10
Originally Posted by grampi
I have been doing a lot of research on cermamics since they were introduced and most people who have used them are saying they last anywhere from 3 to 6 months. The whole premise of ceramics was that they last longer. I'm not seeing where they are. Other than being easier and taking less time to apply, I see no benefit using them instead of traditional waxes/sealants. I get 6 months worth of protection using Collinite 845...I think ceramaics are more hype than anything...

I'm glad you posted your comments regarding ceramic coatings vs. waxing. I've been debating for several months to apply or have someone apply a ceramic coating to my Challenger. However, after reading several sites regarding ceramic coatings, I am believing they are not worth the money and that a good detailing, including a clay bar cleaning followed by a superior wax or even a spray ceramic like TW, does just as good.

I did a little experimenting myself with Ceramic wax. Namely speaking, the spray on wash off product MEGUIAR'S G190532SP Hybrid Ceramic Wax. I'm not impressed. It's fast, you use a lot of product and in about 3 months on a properly prepped surface it's done. I have one more to try, and if that flops I"ll go back to Jescar Power Lock, which easily lasted twice as long for me. Well worth the extra time, and lower cost., since little to no product is wasted.

I used to be a fan of Jescar Power Lock. That has been my go to sealant liquid form. However, I do recommend you try out the Turtle Wax Seal N Shine. You should do I comparison on half of the hood. You will see the Seal N Shine is easier to apply and remove, and durability is not bad compared to the Jescar Power Lock.

The product I referenced to as the other product I was going to try is the MEGUIAR'S G200416 Hybrid Ceramic Liquid Wax, which I bought about a month ago. I might take you up on your suggestion, should the G200416 disappoint me. I always like to work smarter, not harder, and getting older has me doing that more and more. Thanks for the suggestion.

I have been doing a lot of research on cermamics since they were introduced and most people who have used them are saying they last anywhere from 3 to 6 months. The whole premise of ceramics was that they last longer. I'm not seeing where they are. Other than being easier and taking less time to apply, I see no benefit using them instead of traditional waxes/sealants. I get 6 months worth of protection using Collinite 845...I think ceramaics are more hype than anything...

I'm glad you posted your comments regarding ceramic coatings vs. waxing. I've been debating for several months to apply or have someone apply a ceramic coating to my Challenger. However, after reading several sites regarding ceramic coatings, I am believing they are not worth the money and that a good detailing, including a clay bar cleaning followed by a superior wax or even a spray ceramic like TW, does just as good.

I did a little experimenting myself with Ceramic wax. Namely speaking, the spray on wash off product MEGUIAR'S G190532SP Hybrid Ceramic Wax. I'm not impressed. It's fast, you use a lot of product and in about 3 months on a properly prepped surface it's done. I have one more to try, and if that flops I"ll go back to Jescar Power Lock, which easily lasted twice as long for me. Well worth the extra time, and lower cost., since little to no product is wasted.

That is normal. Most of the ceramic spray sealants are normal spray sealants with some ceramic content. Ceramic is a marketing germ, kinda like "synthetic" oil. You can typically expect a few car washes worth of durability from these products.

The only true ceramic coatings are the ones that require the tedious prep work. The SiO2 percentage is one gauge of the true ceramic content; the better ones have over 50%.

Originally Posted by The Critic

That is normal. Most of the ceramic spray sealants are normal spray sealants with some ceramic content. Ceramic is a marketing germ, kinda like "synthetic" oil. You can typically expect a few car washes worth of durability from these products.

The only true ceramic coatings are the ones that require the tedious prep work. The SiO2 percentage is one gauge of the true ceramic content; the better ones have over 50%.

Thanks for the info. I have a feeling I will be going back to the Power Lock. That spray on rinse off stuff is a great marketing concept, it gets used up real fast!!

...... You can typically expect a few car washes worth of durability from these products.

My experience was much different than that. Applied TWSNS last summer, and reapplied late fall, got me through a midwest winter and many car washes. It was done then, but for $8, it was a gem.

I'm now trying their next generation Hybrid Solutions product.

Last edited:

Thanks for the info. I have a feeling I will be going back to the Power Lock. That spray on rinse off stuff is a great marketing concept, it gets used up real fast!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-Pbf5ww7hU

Take a look at that comparison test. The reviewer is correct that these products work better when used in a different manner than recommended.

Take a look at that comparison test. The reviewer is correct that these products work better when used in a different manner than recommended.

That reviewer is a bot you know. The subject though is interesting.

Originally Posted by PimTac

I did not - I always thought Sandro's reviews were very fair. He is a CarPro installer though.

Originally Posted by PimTac

I did not - I always thought Sandro's reviews were very fair. He is a CarPro installer though.

Ive seen a few of his and they are good. That same computer generated voice is in some other YT videos I've seen of various products.

These spray and rinse products really don't need much product to get the job done. I've used the Sonax Spray and Seal and I liked it but I still prefer a spray on, wipe and buff product like Griots Ceramic Wax.

I'll check out the video, thanks. I will try using the remaining product, but as a "wax as you dry product." That will cut the consumption way down, and imo it will last a little longer. I have a feeling that is the better way of using the product, but at the end of the day Power Lock is still the way to go for me.

Originally Posted by gizzsdad
...... You can typically expect a few car washes worth of durability from these products.

My experience was much different than that. Applied TWSNS last summer, and reapplied late fall, got me through a midwest winter and many car washes. It was done then, but for $8, it was a gem.

I'm now trying their next generation Hybrid Solutions product.

Do you use any APC during your car wash? If not, that explains why.

I found a couple of good articles about coatings, waxes, sealants, which discusses all the hype about ceramics and includes myths, pros, and cons. It was well worth the read. There were pros and cons to ceramics just as there were for waxes and sealants. In the end, it seems to be buyers' preferences and how much someone wants to invest in time and money. I also saw a YouTube video from a professional detailer who said because of the ingredients of a true ceramic coating, it would only come in a glass bottle. He said the solvents in a true ceramic coating would dissolve a plastic bottle. He never mentioned any specific brands.

LTZ10 said:

I've been running the Megs HCW for about 2 months now and I don't see whats not to love. After the first application the gloss was a bit less than I am used ot with D156 but after a few wash and reapplications the gloss is looking really pretty good. If it lasts three months between applications how is that bad? Its literally spray on and either wipe or spray off. Every bit as easy as D156 with similar shine (eventually) and better durability. Of course, the cost is higher but that makes sense.

Now I'm only 2 months in and I've reapplied it after each wash so far, so we will see what time reveals but so far I'm very happy.

Do you use any APC during your car wash? If not, that explains why.

Never.

It lasted better than Collinite 845 or Finish Kare 1000P for me.

Back